Employer attacks 3 Indians in Saudi, Swaraj secures their safety
Three Indian men, who were allegedly physically tortured by their employer in Saudi Arabia, will return to India within a week, external affairs minister Sushma Swaraj said on Thursday.india Updated: Dec 24, 2015 14:36 IST
Three Indian men, who were allegedly physically tortured by their employer in Saudi Arabia, will return to India within a week, external affairs minister Sushma Swaraj said on Thursday.
According to reports, the three young men who hail from Haripad in Kerala’s Alappuzha district, were taken to Saudi Arabia by a placement agency on the false promise of employment.
A video allegedly recorded by one of the men shows a Saudi man assaulting them with a wooden plank, and has been circulating on WhatsApp.
“We reported this to Saudi Police. We are in touch with Indian workers. They will be back in India within a week,” Swaraj had tweeted on Thursday.
The minister on Wednesday had posted that the young men were put under police protection and that the matter would be pursued by the Indian government.
“We have approached the police and got them police protection. We will follow this up,” Swaraj tweeted.
This isn’t the first time that the foreign minister has taken up a case of Indian nationals in distress abroad after their plight came to light on social media.
In August, Swaraj helped rescue a woman after her brother posted on Twitter that she was lured by the promise of a job as an air-hostess in UAE but was instead being held by traffickers .
Earlier this month, another tweet about 14 Indians being stranded in Malaysia after pursuing a similar ruse of employment found audience with Swaraj.
First Published: Dec 24, 2015 13:33 IST