Force India driver Sutil faces assault charges
Renault owner Eric Lux is all set to file a criminal complaint against Force India driver Adrian Sutil for "physical assault and grievous bodily harm" during an altercation at a Shanghai nightclub on the night of Chinese Grand Prix last month.india Updated: May 17, 2011 13:51 IST
Renault owner Eric Lux is all set to file a criminal complaint against Force India driver Adrian Sutil for "physical assault and grievous bodily harm" during an altercation at a Shanghai nightclub on the night of Chinese Grand Prix last month.
Lux is CEO of Genii Capital, owners of the Renault F1 team. His lawyer released a statement on Monday confirming his intentions.
"In view of the recent events which occurred in Shanghai on 17 April, Mr Eric Lux has decided to file a criminal complaint against Mr Adrian Sutil for physical assault and grievous bodily harm," the statement said.
"As soon as the complaint is registered, the Federation Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA) and the team Force India will be notified.
"Furthermore, please note that Mr Eric Lux does not exclude commencing an action against any other persons involved in this matter."
Those 'other persons' could include Lewis Hamilton who was present at the time of altercation, but is said to have no involvement in the attack.
According to reports, Sutil reportedly broke a champagne glass and attacked Lux, who suffered cuts to his neck.
The scuffle followed Chinese Grand Prix celebrations between the German and race winner Lewis Hamilton who are good friends. The incident took place in the Shanghai club, M1NT.
The 28-year-old German had issued a statement last week in which he confirmed attending a party after the race where he "unintentionally injured another guest".
"I have unreservedly apologised for this. As this is a private matter, which has nothing to do with Formula One, I will make no further public comments on this subject," Sutil had said.