Four terrorists among eight killed in J&K

A major tragedy was averted when CRPF personnel on Thursday detected and defused a powerful IED in J&K.

india Updated: Aug 31, 2006 21:14 IST

Four terrorists, including three Pakistan nationals, and three security personnel were among eight people killed in Jammu and Kashmir since Wednesday evening, an official spokesman said on Thursday.

A major tragedy was averted when the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) personnel on Thursday detected and defused a powerful Improvised Explosive Device (IED) on the Srinagar-Jammu national highway planted to target convoy of security forces.

In an encounter, security forces killed two terrorists belonging to the banned Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) outfit at Bonibagh village in Kangan area, about 40 kms from Srinagar, on the Srinagar-Leh national highway on late Wednesdaynight.

A soldier also laid down his life in the encounter, the spokesman said, adding two AK rifles and nine magazines were seized from the slain terrorists, identified as Zaheer Hamid alias Abu Jarar Askari and Musaib (both Pakistan nationals).

Security forces killed another Pakistani terrorist Bilal Bhai at Gagangeer village in the same area early on Thursday. An AK assault rifle and four magazines were seized from his possession.

Bilal was believed to be a top commander of the Hizbul Mujahideen and involved in a series of terrorist activities, the spokesman said.

In another gunfight at Ari Kund village of Qazigund area, about 80 kms from Srinagar, on Wednesday evening, a terrorist was killed.

Terrorists shot at and critically wounded a police head constable, Bashir Ahmad, at Iqbal Market Sopore in north Kashmir's Baramulla district at around 4.15 pm on Thursday evening.

Bashir was immediately rushed to a nearby hospital, but he died on way.

Terrorists also killed an SPO at Lolab in the frontier district of Kupwara late on Wednesday night.

Terrorists entered the house of Mohammad Sultan Wagay at Dangiwacha in Baramulla district on Wednesday night and shot dead his daughter Haseena Akthar.

Police rushed to the spot, but terrorists had managed to escape, the spokesman said.

A CRPF spokesman said personnel of CRPF's 155 battalion noticed some suspicious article lying on a roadside at Doonipora Bijbehara on the highway on Thursday morning. They found a transistor fitted with electronic detonators and two kg of explosives.

A bomb disposal squad was immediately summoned which defused the IED, he said, adding the IED was planted by the terrorists to target the convoy of the security forces.

"A major tragedy was averted. If the IED was not defused in time, it could have caused huge damage to life or property," the spokesman said.

First Published: Aug 31, 2006 21:03 IST