Gagan set to get Khel Ratna
After a long wait, ace rifle shooter Gagan Narang is set to bag the prestigious Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna. The Hyderabadi, who has been the most consistent marksman for some time, was recommended for the honour by the awards committee, which met here on Friday.
The 28-year-old, who has won a quota place for the 2012 London Olympics, was elated to hear the news. "It has come at a time when I am gearing up for the 2012 Olympics. It will help me push harder," Gagan told HT from his training base in Pune.
"Every award is very dear and a huge motivation," he said. "This helps to wipe out the memories of last two years. I am thankful to those who kept an eye on my last year's performance.
Eying london glory
"It was an excellent year for me. I hope to show my gratitude to everyone who supported me by winning a medal at the Olympics next year."
Narang, who has at one time thought about quitting the game for not being selected for the country's top honour, was the first Indian shooter to qualify for the Olympics with a bronze at the World Championships last year.
The committee also finalised the list for the Arjuna and Dronacharya Awards, and it has been sent to the sports ministry for approval.
India pace spearhead Zaheer Khan is among those picked for the Arjuna Award. The 32-year-old fast bowler, who is currently in England for the Test series, has taken 271 Test wickets at an average of 31.94. He also has 273 ODI wickets at 28.84.
Other names include India football captain, Sunil Chettri, rising tennis star, Somdev Devvarman, and badminton player, Jwala Gutta. Somdev had won gold at both the Commonwealth as well as the Asian Games.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- A Reuters report quoting unnamed officials stated that at least 19 Myanmarese policemen have crossed over to the Indian side through border areas in Serchip and Champhai districts. However, it could not be confirmed.
- Those entering India can be granted refugee status, but they will be deported if the government decides against it
- The 50-odd pages document, anchored by the national security adviser’s office, is now awaiting the approval from the Prime Minister’s office before it is released.
- Delhi, which gave shots to 1,679 people per million population in the second phase till Wednesday night, was in the second spot, while Odisha (1,283 doses per million) was third
- The scenes that caused offence have since been deleted, and the makers as well as the OTT company have apologised.
- The medical fitness team of the Army tested close to 615 women SSC officers entitled for permanent commission, following the apex court judgment, on five counts: psychiatry, height, appendage (bone structure), physical and eye and ear.
- The EOL report has calculated its overall scores on the basis of four parameters: quality of life, economic ability, sustainability and citizen perception.
- Bengaluru, India’s technology capital, is an economic powerhouse on account of the presence of some of the world’s largest corporations.
- K Surendran, the state BJP president who made the original announcement claimed he was quoted out of context.
- The biosphere reserve spread over an area of 5569 sq km contributes 38% of the total protected area network in Odisha. It is also one of the oldest tiger reserves in the country having the largest zone of Sal trees.