Mario's recipes for men
A new book suggests simple recipes for all gents. Added spice: a dash of humour from Mario Miranda.india Updated: May 21, 2012 15:19 IST
The Mama’s Boy:
* 1 cup sago n ½ cup peanuts, crushed & roasted n 1 tsp oil n 10-12 fresh curry leaves n 1 tsp cumin seeds n 3-4 green chillies, chopped n 1 tsp sugar n Salt to taste n 1 tbsp fresh shredded coconut n 1 tbsp fresh coriander leaves, chopped *1 tsp lemon juice
1. Wash the sago thoroughly, drain water and let stand overnight. Remove lumps, if any, from the sago, and mix with the peanuts.
3. Heat oil, add curry leaves and cumin seeds. Let them brown a bit. Add chopped green chillies.
4. Add sago-peanut mixture and mix well. Add sugar and salt to taste. Don’t cover the vessel.
6. Garnish with coconut, coriander and some lemon juice.
* 4 chicken breasts & drumsticks
* 2 tbsp butter
* 8 small white onions, chopped
* 2 cups fresh mushrooms, washed & quartered
* 1/3 cup flour
* 1 tbsp oil
* 1 cup tomato purée
* 2 tomatoes, blanched & chopped
* 1½ cups chicken broth * ¼ cup dry white wine
* 1 tsp sweet basil, finely chopped
* ½ tsp anise seed
* 2 cups peas n Salt
1. Sauté onions and mushrooms in ½ tbsp butter. Set aside.
2. Heat remaining butter and oil. Dust chicken with flour and fry till golden. Add onion, mushrooms, tomato purée, chopped tomatoes, broth, salt, wine, basil and anise seeds. Stir, bring to boil, simmer.
3. Reduce heat and cook covered for 30 minutes. Add peas, cook for 15 minutes.
* 4 cups cooked, boiled & sliced potatoes n 4 slices bacon n 2 tbsp oil n 2 onions, chopped n ¼ cup chopped celery n 2 tbsp flour n 4 tbsp vinegar n 1 cup water
* Black pepper & salt, to taste n 1 tsp sugar
1. In a skillet, heat oil and fry bacon till crisp. Remove and crumble. Drain excess oil from the skillet, retaining only a little of the drippings.
3. Stir fry onion and celery and keep aside.
4. In the same skillet, stir in the flour. Add water and vinegar. Cook till flour thickens.
5. Add bacon and all remaining ingredients, including potatoes. Stir, mix well and continue heating for 5 minutes. Serve when cooled.
First Published: May 15, 2009 21:07 IST