SLC seek compensation from CSA
SLC chairman was quoted as saying that they had strong reasons and proof to claim damages.india Updated: Aug 21, 2006 02:06 IST
Sri Lanka Cricket are likely to ask Cricket South Africa to compensate them for the financial damages incurred following the team's pull out from a tri-nation series here citing security concerns.
South Africa refused to play in the series that was scheduled from August 14 to 29 against Sri Lanka and India after a bomb exploded in the vicinity of their hotel on Monday.
India, however, decided to stay back and agreed to play a three-match series, the first of which was rained out on Saturday, against the hosts.
The tri-series matches would have to be replayed as it fell under the ICC Future Tours Programme. As per the ICC regulations, the matter would go to the ICC Disputes Resolution Committee only if the two Boards failed to arrive at a consensus.
The DRC verdict could see South Africa being fined heavily. Reports here said the SLC would claim for compensation since it did not foresee the tri-series being rescheduled in the near future because of the cramped schedule.
SLC Chief Executive Duleep Mendis said the situation had not yet reached that point and the Board was negotiating with the South Africans.
"It has not got to that stage. We are trying to sort out the matter in two or three days," Mendissaid.
SLC Interim Committee chairman Jayantha Dharmadasa was quoted as saying in the media that the Board had strong reasons and proof to claim damages from the CSA.
"India's presence is vital for the fact that it not only boosts television audiences around the world but also nets in a huge amount of money from television broadcasters," Dharmadasa told 'Cricinfo'.
The proof that SLC refers to was the fact that the CSA based its decision on the report filed by the Dubai-based 'Olive Group' which was chosen as the independent security team to assess the security situation.
SLC argued that none from the 'Olive Group' visited Colombo to make a hands-on assessment. But an ICC spokesperson said that how a security team wrote its report was left to the experts themselves and that an expert from the Olive Group had visited the capital of the island nation immediately before the Monday blast.
"The Olive Group made the report on the basis of speaking to people and one of its persons had been in Sri Lanka for six weeks upto the week before the blast," ICC Media Manager Brian Murgatroydsaid.
"The ICC does not specify as to how they do the report, it is left to the security consultants," Murgatroyd added.
Meanwhile, reports said ICC President and former CSA chief Percy Sonn was expected to arrive in Colombo on Sunday.