New Delhi -°C
Today in New Delhi, India

May 30, 2020-Saturday



Select city

Metro cities - Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Kolkata

Other cities - Noida, Gurgaon, Bengaluru, Hyderabad, Bhopal , Chandigarh , Dehradun, Indore, Jaipur, Lucknow, Patna, Ranchi


Two brothers held in Kashmir for sheltering Pak militant Naveed

Two persons have been arrested in South Kashmir for allegedly helping Pakistani terrorist Mohammad Naveed in the days leading to the Udhampur attack, police sources said on Saturday.

india Updated: Aug 08, 2015 23:59 IST
Toufiq Rashid
Toufiq Rashid
Hindustan Times
The-sole-militant-caught-alive-after-a-terrorist-attack-on-a-BSF-convoy-that-was-travelling-on-the-Jammu-Srinagar-national-highway-in-Udhampur-district-about-85km-from-Jammu-on-Wednesday-August-05-2015-Agency-Photo( )

Two persons have been arrested in Kashmir for allegedly helping Mohammad Naveed in the days leading to the Udhampur attack, police sources said Saturday. The captured Pakistani terrorist is on a tour of the Valley with his interrogators, who are mapping his journey in the two months since he crossed over.

Unconfirmed reports said six others have been detained and the National Investigation Agency is on the lookout for two more suspects.

The arrested men are brothers and are said to have kept Naveed for six days at their house in Chursoo Awantipora in south Kashmir after he infiltrated into Kupwara district on June 2 on a mission to “kill Hindus”.

HT Exclusive:Pakistan man admits he is Naveed's 'unfortunate father'

Javaid Ahmed Parray, a driver, was arrested on Saturday. Apart from sheltering Naveed, he is also accused of driving him to the spot on the Jammu-Srinagar highway where the suspected Lashkar-e-Taiba operative and a fellow Pakistani attacked a BSF convoy on Wednesday, killing two jawans. Naveed was captured alive while his partner, Mohammed Nomen, was gunned down.

The NIA picked up Parray’s brother Fayaz Ahmed Parray two days ago on Thursday. Sources said Naveed lived in their house for six days in June.

The police are looking for one Fayaz Ahmad Itto of Khudwani, who is absconding. His brother and father have been detained while his wife and minor son have also reported to the police, sources said.

Naveed and his accomplice Mohammad Nomen alias Nomin attacked a BSF convoy on August 5 killing two BSF jawans and injuring 14 others.

While Nomin was killed in retaliatory fire, Naveed escaped into a village and took three men hostage but they later overpowered him and handed him over to police.

Naveed reportedly stayed in Khudwani for four days before leaving for Udhampur. NIA sleuths, who have brought Naveed to Srinagar, hope to get him to identify hideouts used by him and other Lashkar cadre he met while planning the attack. Interrogators say Naveed was part of a 15-member fidayeen (suicide) squad, most of whom are still at large.

After reaching Kupwara, reports say, Naveed travelled to the Tangmarg area of Baramulla in north Kashmir. There, he stayed in Baba Reshi through the Ramzan period before proceeding to Awantipore via Srinagar.

Read:Captured terrorist Naveed's neighbours in Pakistan confirm address

Udhampur attack: Initial probe indicates Naveed was backed by ISI

ht epaper

Sign In to continue reading