Today in New Delhi, India
Apr 19, 2019-Friday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Fingers of youth chopped off during fight over blaring microphones

Sis admitted to Malda Medical College and Hospital.

kolkata Updated: Feb 04, 2017 14:48 IST
Sreyasi Pal
Sreyasi Pal
Hindustan Times
Saraswati Puja,VIolence,Malda
Ganesh Ghosh in a hospital in Malda after the amputation.(HT Photo)

Ganesh Ghosh, a youth of Malda, lost the thumb and index fingers of his right hand after he was attacked with scythes by a group of villagers who were protesting blaring microphones for extended Saraswati puja festivities two days beyond the scheduled day on February 1.

The incident happened on Friday evening in Byashpur village under Englishbazar police station. Till Saturday afternoon police did not arrest anybody.

Ganesh Ghosh, who lost the fingers was admitted to Malda Medical College and Hospital. So were five others including Mangal and Gaya Ghosh who protested the loud music playing on the microphones.

Others who were admitted to the hospital were Bhim Ghosh, Rabi Ghosh, Uttam Ghosh and Ganesh Ghosh.

“We had to amputate two fingers of Ganesh Ghosh as the fingers were hanging from the palm and were held by a thin patch of skin and tissue,” said a doctor of the hospital.

“We have received two complaints and and inquiry has been iniated. But none has been arrested,” said a senior officer of Englishbazar police station. Malda district police super Arnab Ghosh kept mum.

According to villagers, Mangal and Gaya Ghosh were returning to the village with about 25 cows and buffaloes around 7:30 pm on Friday. But the volume was so loud that the cows, despite repeated goading by the duo, refused to take the road that led to the spot where the music was played.

Locals said, after the protest fell on deaf ears of the revellers, a fight ensued, and the organisers attacked the duo with scythes. Supporters of the protesting duo also joined them.

“There is a lake in the village and on its banks a community Saraswati puja was organised like other years. The music was so loud that the cattle refused to take the approach road where the microphones were blaring,” said Khushi Ghosh, a resident of the village.

After the altercation, Gaya and Mangal suddenly pounced upon the revellers with sickles.

First Published: Feb 04, 2017 14:48 IST