Pearls, purple and American designers mark a new U.S. administration
The United States' peaceful transition of power included a spotlight on fashion on Wednesday, as President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris were sworn in at the U.S. Capitol, both sporting American designers.
Harris, the first woman, the first Black person and the first Asian American to hold the office, chose Black designers for the historic moment.
At the Capitol she wore a mid-length purple coat and matching dress from New York-based designer Christopher John Rogers. On Wednesday evening, she is set to wear an outfit from Los Angeles-based Sergio Hudson.
"Thank you, Madam Vice President. We are so honored and humbled to have played a small part in this historic moment," Rogers posted on Instagram.
Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and former first lady Michelle Obama joined Harris in wearing shades of purple - a color of the American women's suffrage movement, but also one that many observers interpreted as a symbol of unity between the Democrat "blue states" and Republican "red states" of the country, a theme of the ceremony.
First lady Jill Biden wore an ocean blue dress and overcoat embellished with Swarovski pearls and crystals by Alexandra O'Neill from New York label Markarian. The color was chosen "to signify trust, confidence, and stability," the designer said. To fight the COVID-19 pandemic her outfit included a matching silk face mask.
Both Biden and Harris' husband Doug Emhoff wore suits by classic American designer Ralph Lauren, who also outfits the U.S. Olympic teams. "Now is the time to come together with love and understanding," Lauren wrote on Twitter.
Harris completed her look with her signature pearls, which observers say is a nod to sisterhood and her membership of Alpha Kappa Alpha - the first black Greek-letter sorority - at Howard University in Washington, D.C.
The sorority and a Facebook group with more than 450,000 members urged women to wear pearls on Wednesday to celebrate the first female U.S. Vice President.
Lady Gaga performed the national anthem in a dress by French label Schiaparelli, which is led by Texan Daniel Roseberry, highlighted by a giant gold dove brooch.
"A dove carrying an olive branch. May we all make peace with each other," the entertainer wrote on Twitter. Senator Bernie Sanders made a fashion statement of a different sort, in a casual coat with massive, striped wooly mittens.
This story has been published from a wire agency feed without modifications to the text.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Sohail Khan's son, Nirvan Khan attended Ibrahim Ali Khan's birthday bash wearing Salman Khan's denim jacket. The piece or art jacket is worth ₹1.2 lakh.
- For a photo shoot, Vidya Balan wore a purple pinstripe dress with a mauve jacket and opted to go sans-accessories. The Kahaani actor taught us how to channel a fierce vibe with our glam in new pics.
- Shanaya Kapoor shared images from her impromptu at-home photo shoot with fans on Instagram. The photo shoot was a family affair, as Arjun Kapoor turned stylist and Khushi Kapoor edited the images and delivered the final product.
- Say goodbye to your winter clothes cause it's time to slay in some gorgeous floral print mini skirts and tops like Hina Khan. The actor recently shared images of herself wearing a summery co-ord set and we love it.
- Leaving fans hooked with her saree chronicles, Janhvi Kapoor serves another sensuous look from Manish Malhotra’s collection in an ivory-coloured six yards of elegance as she promotes her upcoming film ‘Roohi’ on Day 4
- Vidya Balan recently dolled up for an e-interview and we love everything about retro-chic vibe. From her dove grey asymmetric kurta to smart narrow pants, we can’t wait to recreate the delightful silhouette as we walk into spring-summer
- Want to set mercury soaring when going for lunch or an evening out? Take fashion cues from Aditi Rao Hydari’s romantic steamy look for The Girl on The Train promotions in a pink strappy twisted bustier teamed with wide-leg pants that look flirty enough to add drama to our summer closet
- Kriti Sanon recently gave us outfit goals as she stepped out in a bodycon denim romper with white accessories for casual outing. We can't help but marvel at the choices of the fashionista.