Rock the New Year’s Eve in sequins and metallic hues
It’s that time of the year, when the parties are bigger than ever. And your usual wardrobe is not going to cut it on New Year’s Eve. A generous smattering of sequins and metallic is a fail-safe way to add glamour...Updated: Dec 19, 2013 16:04 IST
It’s that time of the year, when the parties are bigger than ever. And your usual wardrobe is not going to cut it on New Year’s Eve.
A generous smattering of sequins and metallic is a fail-safe way to add glamour and festivity to your looks.
“Glitter and sparkle work to bring depth and excitement to a piece. A hint of sparkle makes you stand out instantly,” explains Dimple Varma of online store Turquoise & Gold. We get the experts to present a lowdown on the ways to work these elements.
1. Give the tried-and-tested trend an eclectic spin by experimenting with colours. This is the key if you wish to make a statement. Gold, silver and black are no longer the only shades to sport. Designer and stylist Ken Ferns advocates playing with neon hues
and Swarovski detailing. Adds Anita Dongre, “Sport sequins in hot pink, lime green and ash.” Varma adds that pastel metallic hues are uber trendy too.
2. A sequined or a metallic blazer or a bomber jacket thrown on over a dress or a denims-and-blouse combination is the easiest way to rock the trend.
3. A sequinned corset looks exquisite as part of a December party outfit, says Ferns. Don’t be afraid to slip into a metallic crop top paired with wide-legged trousers either.
4. Varma suggests, “Try a fully sequinned jumpsuit for a ’70s vibe. This is definitely a more exciting option than aboring LBD.”
5. Sequinned and metallic leggings and pants are back in a big way, and Ferns feels this is the perfect time to make space for them. Dongre adds, “If you’re daring, wear gold pants in the day with a pastel top. Or team it with a black top and minimal jewellery for a night out.”
6. Varma advises wearing a leather pencil skirt in a pastel shade for an on-trend look. Team this with a printed top and standout earrings.
7. Those who are reluctant to go over-the-top dramatic can find refuge in subtler hints. “Metallic shoes and clutches create a point of interest and can update the simplest of looks,” says Varma. “Shoes in cool metallic tones like blue, lilac and purple look great.” Dongre, however, votes for sequined heels. “They go with almost any outfit. Wear it with something as basic as denims and a simple shirt, or a formal dress.”
8. This look is all about no-holds-barred and unabashed glamour. So make sure your hair and make-up complement your look. Play with braids, messy buns and slick high ponytails. These hairdos are not only chic but also allow your outfits to take centre stage. Bold lips, think daring red, fuchsia pops and feisty coral are a must too.
First Published: Dec 19, 2013 15:58 IST