Samajwadi MP Akhilesh Yadav arrested, calls Maya autocratic
Samajwadi Party MP Akhilesh Yadav, the son of party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav, was arrested from the airport in Lucknow on Wednesday to prevent him from taking part in protests against Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati and her party.
"The state government has been functioning in an autocratic manner and my arrest reflects it clearly," Akhilesh Yadav told reporters before being whisked away by police.
Akhilesh Yadav, who is president of the party's Uttar Pradesh unit, was held at Amausi airport shortly after he arrived from Delhi.
"We will continue our fight against the autocratic functioning of the state government, irrespective of the harsh measures being adopted by the state government to gag us," he added.
According to Deputy Inspector General, Lucknow, DK Thakur, he was arrested to maintain law and order in the wake of the SP's protests against Uttar Pradesh's ruling Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP).
He was supposed to address party men first at the SP's office in Lucknow and later in Kannauj, his parliamentary constituency, said party spokesperson in the state Rajendra Chaudhary.
SP launched a three-day statewide agitation against the state's ruling party on March 7 as part of its campaign "BSP hatao, Pradesh Bachao (Remove BSP, save the state)".
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Instructions have been given to the tourism department officials to prepare the detailed project report for the tent city in Varanasi.
- Circle police officers and police station in-charges have been asked to strictly comply with the instructions and counsel their subordinates to ensure no undignified caller tunes were used.
- Aligarh superintendent of police (SP) said the missing student was moved by road to Delhi from Aligarh and a team has been sent to the national capital to trace him.
- Chaudhary claimed when Prime Minister Narendra Modi was the chief minister of Gujarat in 2011, he had written a letter to then Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, demanding a law to guarantee minimum support price (MSP) to the farmers.
- UP chief secretary RK Tiwari also pointed out to the Australian envoy that UP has already established six nodes under the Defence Corridor for encouraging setting up of defence manufacturing industry.
- UP State Electricity Consumer Council has opposed the corporation's proposal, arguing that the demand for change in slabs was an attempt to hike tariff through the backdoor.
- The accident took place at 68 Milestone within limits of Naujheel police station of Mathura district, said a police officer.
- Aparna Purohit was at Lucknow's Hazratganj police station for nearly four hours to record her statement in connection with the FIR over Amazon Prime Video's web series 'Tandav'.
- The proposal for naming the airport as Maryada Purushottam Shriram Airport would be sent to the Union government that would take a final decision