Dolly Ki Doli review by Anupama Chopra: This is success of the script
Dolly Ki Doli
Direction: Abhishek Dogra
Actors: Sonam Kapoor, Rajkummar Rao, Pulkit Samrat, Varun Sharma, Mohammed Zeeshan Ayyub
Dolly Ki Doli is a charming, genuinely funny comedy about a serial bride named Dolly. Dolly, played by Sonam Kapoor, is a thief. She and her gang set up marriages with gullible grooms, who are then given drug-laced milk on the suhaag raat. They sleep. She steals and decamps with jewellery, clothes, furniture and, in one case, even the chain from one father-in-law’s neck and the underclothes of a mother-in-law. To which a member of her gang says: "Saas ki bra panty toh chhod de."
Dolly Ki Doli is, above all, the success of script. Writer-director Abhishek Dogra and co-writer Umashankar Singh take a somewhat silly story, add crackling dialogue and sharp characters, and serve up dollops of laughs. Some of the best lines are asides. My favourite gag is the one with the gang ‘grandmother’, an elderly, senile daadi who can only repeat one line — "Beti de di, sab kuchh de diya".
The film has terrific actors: Rajkummar Rao plays a Haryanvi farmer who loves Dolly despite everything. Varun Sharma is the mama’s boy with an over-active libido. The always excellent Mohammed Zeeshan Ayyub is Raju. And Brijendra Kala plays a cop. Surrounded by these men, Sonam lifts her game. She’s all sunshine and sexiness but also imbues Dolly with an inherent likeability and inner strength.
What Dolly does is awful, but you are rooting for her to get away with it.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Here's a video of almost-baby Tiger Shroff, taking to the stage with his father, Jackie, back in the early 1990s.
- Kishwer Merchant and Suyyash Rai announced on Tuesday that they are expecting their first child. Check out their Instagram posts.
- Amazon Prime Video has issued a new apology over the legal cases surrounding the political drama Tandav. Read it here.
- The creatives behind an apparel advertisement featuring Deepika Padukone have been accused of plagiarism by Yeh Ballet filmmaker Sooni Taraporevala, who has called the incident 'intellectual theft'.
- BTS singer V released his vlog on YouTube, which featured a few behind-the-scenes glimpses at his song Snow Flower with Peakboy, his workout session, and more.
- Fans have once again spotted similarities between Tiger Shroff's character in Heropanti 2, and Agent 47 in the Hitman video game series. A new poster for the film debuted on Tuesday.
- BLACKPINK member Rosé shared posters to confirm that she will make her solo debut on March 12. Her fellow BLACKPINK members Jisoo, Lisa and Jennie extend their support.
- Kajol celebrated the completion of one year of her short film, Devi. She mentioned how the film could still make her emotional.
- Several Twitter users pointed out that the poster for the upcoming Saina Nehwal biopic, starring Parineeti Chopra, appears to show an incorrect serve action.
- John Abraham and Disha Patani have begun working on their upcoming film, Ek Villain Returns. See pics.
- Tiger Shroff, who turned a year older on Tuesday, was spotted with rumoured girlfriend Disha Patani and his mother Ayesha Dutt on a dinner outing.
- Ankita Lokhande has shared several pictures and videos from a house party she had with Rashami Desai on Monday.
- Shaza Morani and Priyaank Sharma's Hindu wedding ceremony has been postponed, in light of the increase in Covid-19 cases in Maharashtra. The couple and their families and friends are currently in the Maldives.