Sanam Re review: Clichéd, but sweet and tolerable
Cast: Pulkit Samrat, Yami Gautam, Urvashi Rautela, Rishi Kapoor
Director: Divya Khosla Kumar
Just when I thought I was out, they pulled me back in: With a dialogue from Godfather 3, of all things!
Before you ask us what has a Godfather dialogue got to do with Sanam Re, here’s the answer. Bollywood still makes films based on concepts borrowed from the early ‘90s when we expect them to come up with something more 2016. Also, there are many scenes in Sanam Re that seem as forced as this Michael Corleone dialogue in this review.
You must have heard of Tanakpur. Yes, that snow-clad Uttarakhand town your friend went for vacations last winter. It all starts there, when Aakash (Pulkit Samrat) and Shruti (Yami Gautam) are still kids. As destiny planned, they fall in love with each other. Cliched, did you just say? Wait, there’s more. As expected, they choose separate paths, but destiny decides this is not how they’re supposed to live their lives. What do we believe in: Love or luck or both? Can love happen twice, or with another person? You know the usual questions.
Let’s give credit to Divya Khosla Kumar for beginning the story on a picturesque note. You marvel the scenic locales alongside searching for intense love, but the slow-paced office humour, chiefly driven by Manoj Joshi, denies you the solace you crave for. And, yes, his English is poor and that means he’ll keep referring to Shakespeare as Shaaaxxxpeer. Of course, you’re supposed to laugh.
Thankfully, Pulkit Samrat understands the value of subdued acting and steps away from being a part of the trademark Bollywood hamming. After a long time, we get a glimpse of the actor we first appreciated in 2012 film Bittoo Boss. But, he is not the only one in the film.
The director has given clear pointers to her actors. Pulkit needs to look a confused guy, Yami should be the innocent mountain beauty. But then, what’ll Urvashi Rautela do in this set-up? Ok, let’s make her gyrate on beaches and bathrooms. Who will enhance the hotness quotient otherwise? Nothing wrong in executing all this, but haven’t we lost that beautiful story we started with in this chaos?
Superbly backed up by its music, Sanam Re shows potential in patches. Pulkit has been given a clichéd yet nuanced role, but you can’t sustain the momentum unless other characters too pitch in. The actors have been made to do some really silly things. For instance, Pulkit and Yami are supposed to look like senior secondary kids who talk in weird lingo. You simply fail to realize the ‘aww’ factor in it. Ironically, the background score keeps reminding you of Tum Bin and that puts even more spotlight on the lack of intensity in Sanam Re.
Watch: Pulkit Samrat, Yami Gautam in Sanam Re trailer
This one has ingredients, but they’re not mixed in the right amount. Too much fascination with ‘glamour’ restricts it from becoming a satisfactory cinematic version of Nicholas Sparks’ novels.
To be fair with the team of Sanam Re, it’s not a bad watch. It’s not a great watch either. The film starts off on a promising note, but soon goes off the track. However, it could still be your Valentine’s movie. We know how desperately you need it!
(Interact with Rohit Vats at Twitter/@nawabjha)
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Rakhi Sawant hosted a party on Monday, which was attended by a number of her Bigg Boss 14 co-contestants, including Nikki Tamboli, Jaan Kumar Sanu, Vikas Gupta and Rahul Mahajan.
- As Karisma Kapoor showed off her figure in a new Instagram post, Manish Malhotra and Sophie Choudry were reminded of her Dil To Pagal Hai days.
Vineet Kumar Singh: My career has been built from one-two scenes; I have played the role of a dead body too
- Kangana Ranaut on Monday shared photos of her partially demolished Mumbai office, and said that her 'heart broke again' after she visited the property.
- Ankita Lokhande, in an Instagram live, urged Sushant Singh Rajput's fans to stop blaming her and said that no one knows her side of the story. She also revealed that she went through depression.
- Prince Harry has said that his and wife Meghan Markle's decision to take a step back from the royal family was exacerbated by a desire to not have history repeat itself. He did not want to be overwhelmed by media scrutiny in the way that his mother, Diana, was.
- Sanjay Dutt introduced fans to his new look in a family portrait shared by his wife Maanayata Dutt. He could be seen sporting bleached hair in the photo.
- Nikki Tamboli has both defended and made certain clarifications about accusing Jaan Kumar Sanu of kissing her on Bigg Boss 14.
- Priyanka Chopra said that while she gets a lot of love and protectiveness from her South Asian fans, there are a lot of people from the community who are negative about her.
- BTS singer V left fans in India screaming after he was seen thanking a yoga instructor with a "namaste."