New Delhi -°C
Today in New Delhi, India

Aug 23, 2019-Friday



Select city

Metro cities - Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Kolkata

Other cities - Noida, Gurgaon, Bengaluru, Hyderabad, Bhopal , Chandigarh , Dehradun, Indore, Jaipur, Lucknow, Patna, Ranchi

Friday, Aug 23, 2019

Finally, KDMC starts work to close Adharwadi dump yard near Mumbai

Process to dump yard into road, garden to take at least five years

mumbai Updated: Feb 10, 2018 01:08 IST
Sajana Nambiar
Sajana Nambiar
Hindustan Times
The work of processing waste at Aadharwadi dumping ground in Kalyan (West) will begin soon.
The work of processing waste at Aadharwadi dumping ground in Kalyan (West) will begin soon. (HT FILE)

Residents living near the stinking Adharwadi dumping ground in Kalyan (West) can now breathe easy.

The work for segregation and processing of waste has started and the mountain of garbage will soon be cleared.

The Kalyan-Dombivli Municipal Corporation (KDMC) has outsourced the work to a Surat company at a cost of Rs29.53 crore.

The work for scientific closure with bioremediation of Adharwadi dumping ground has started and it would at least taken three years for its completion.

A machine for processing waste is at the dumping ground for testing. “The testing process is almost done and the work of processing waste will start in a day or two,” said Pradeep Mohite, senior executive administration officer of Saurashtra Enviro projects, which is carrying out the work.

The machine has a capacity of clearing 250 tonnes of waste within 8 to 10 hours daily. “We have placed one machine for the work as there is no space for another. Once some portions of the waste from the dumping ground is cleared, we will get more machines. We can place three such machines to carry out the work speedily,” added Mohite.

Twenty per cent of the funding for the closure work of the dumping ground is by the central government, 13.13 % by the state government and the 67.67% by the KDMC.

The company has appointed five workers to carry out the work.

Initially, the civic body had plans to start the scientific land filling at proposed sites such as Umbarde, Barave and Manda Titwala and simultaneously begin the closure of Adharwadi dump yard.

However, it could not start the alternative site due to opposition from locals. The civic body then decided to start work of clearing the Adharwadi dumping ground considering the pressure built by the local residents to close the dumping ground that has been causing health hazard.

Around 700 metric tonnes of wastes is dumped at the dump yard every day.

“The Adharwadi dumping ground will be closed using the waste recovery process. It will help recover only 25 percent of the land which will be turned into a ring road and the remaining 75 percent of the landfill will be converted into a landscaped garden. We have plans to connect the garden to the riverfront development and town planning scheme. The whole process should take at least five years,” said P Velarasu, KDMC commissioner.

The machine will clear the waste for the proposed ring road project. A portion of the ring road from Durgadi chowk to Gandhare in Kalyan (West) will help ease traffic congestion in the city. This entire road which is around 30 kms will provide connectivity to Dombivli, Kalyan and Titwala, benefiting lakhs of people who travel within the twin city.

The saturated Adharwadi dumping ground that sprawls over 6 acres got the attention of Bombay High Court and National Green Tribunal (NGT) for the civic body’s failure to manage waste. The capacity of the dumping ground to hold the wastes is over and it has been causing major pollution problems in the area in last two years.

First Published: Feb 10, 2018 01:08 IST

more from mumbai