Body of man who jumped off sea link fished out
The officers said the man had hired a taxi from Worli naka and directed it through the sea link.mumbai Updated: Oct 10, 2017 23:42 IST
The Worli police on Tuesday fished out the body of a man who jumped off the Bandra-Worli sea link on Monday night. However, 24 hours after the incident, they are yet to establish his identity.
According to the police officers, the man seemed to be in his forties and had hailed a cab from Haji Aji junction last night. He directed the taxi driver towards the sea link. The driver, about 9 pm called the police control room informing them that his passenger jumped off the bridge.
The police alerted the fire brigade officials to search for the man.
“The man took a taxi from Haji Ali around 9pm. The taxi driver told us he didn’t speak to him through the journey. He asked him to stop the vehicle at the sea link, saying he wanted to relieve himself. The taxi driver refused, but the man fought with him and got him to stop,” said Gajanan Desurkar, senior police inspector, Worli police station.
Within a few seconds, he jumped off the bridge.
The police alerted the fire brigade officials who reached the spot and began the search operation.However, since it was dark and cloudy, they were unable to continue the operation in the night.
On early Tuesday morning, the body of the man was fished out from the Worli side of the bridge.
“The man is yet to be identified. His pants are missing. They might have been washed away with the tide,”said Desurkar, adding the body has been sent to Nair hospital for post-mortem.
The police have now sent a photo of the man to other police stations across the city to find out whether his family has registered a missing person’s complaint. The photo of the man has also been circulated on whatsapp to several informers and locals, to find out if the man was a local.
- July 2017: A 24-year-old man died after jumping off Mumbai’s Bandra-Worli sea link at 3am. According to police, the man had told his friends, with whom he spent the entire evening drinking, that he was depressed after his ex-girlfriend got engaged to another man.
- January 2015: A man in his twenties plunged to death off the Bandra Worli Sea Link.
- Sept 2014: A 45-year-old Prabhadevi based businessman allegedly committed suicide by jumping off Bandra Worli Sea Link. Preliminary inquiry revealed that the man was in depression due to financial crisis in business that triggered him to take the extreme step, the police said.
- August 2014: A 32-year-old jumped into the sea from the Bandra Worli sea link
- August 2014: A 34-year-old BMC employee allegedly committed suicide by jumping off Bandra Worli sea-link. The police said that the man was mentally unstable and after having a quarrel with his wife.
Box 2: Police advisory:
Police in the past had asked taxi unions to spread awareness among drivers asking them not to stop the vehicle in the middle of the sea link. As in many cases victims had taken taxi and had stopped it in middle and had jumped off the sealink.