Mumbai civic body proposes to rebuild ₹52-crore Hancock Bridge
There has been a steady rise in pedestrians’ deaths after the 137-year-old bridge’s demolition.Updated: Feb 06, 2018 11:31 IST
More than 2 years after the Hancock bridge over Sandhurst Road station was demolished, the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) has proposed to rebuild it at an estimated cost of Rs52 crore.
The civic body’s standing committee will discuss the proposal to reconstruct the 137-year-old bridge on Wednesday. The new bridge over the Central Railway tracks is to be 64.6 meters long and 30 meters wide.
After inviting bids for the reconstruction, the BMC received responses from four contractors. According to the proposal, the bridge will be opened for public in 3 years after the work is assigned to a contractor.
After the railway authorities declared the bridge too old and unsafe for use, it was demolished on January 10, 2016. The BMC had paid the Central Railway Rs2 crore for it.
Since then, there has been a steady rise in pedestrians’ deaths as commuters have no option but to cross the tracks between Sandhurst Road and Byculla stations to reach either side. Commuters also complained of the longer route they are compelled to take.
Then it was decided that the BMC will rebuild a taller and wider bridge in place of the old one. The general arrangement design for reconstruction was approved by the Central Railway in 2015, said officials.
A local activist Kamlakar Shenoy said, “The BMC should at least construct a part of the bridge and make it available for bikes and pedestrians by June. Despite the court’s order to complete the process at a faster pace, the BMC has failed to do so at the cost of citizens’ lives.”