Mumbai man who killed mother, drew smiley with her blood initially wanted to kill himself
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 23, 2019-Wednesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Mumbai man who killed mother, drew smiley with her blood initially wanted to kill himself

Mumbai city news: The policeman’s son initially wanted to kill himself but changed his mind on hearing his mother’s screams

mumbai Updated: May 27, 2017 09:16 IST
Mumbai city news,Mumbai crime,murder
Siddhant Ganore was produced at a Bandra court on Friday.(Satish Bate/HT)

The 21-year-old son of a police officer, who was arrested on Thursday for murdering his mother, wanted to kill himself first, but changed his mind and stabbed his mother instead, police said.

Siddhant, 21, son of police inspector Dnyaneshwar Ganore, decided to kill himself in the family’s Santacruz (East) flat, but he changed his mind when his mother began screaming, police said. In a fit of rage, he stabbed his mother 12 times on her neck, chest and hand, the police said.

Siddhant told the police that after he passed out of school, he lost interest in studies because his parents were not getting along. His mother, who has a law degree from a UK-based college, wanted her son to be highly educated and would pressurise Siddhant to focus on his studies, police said. Police said Siddhant did not appear for his first-year BSC exams and had not informed his parents about it. The results were out a few days ago and he had been giving his mother excuses about his report card. On Wednesday, around 1pm, mother and son got into an argument over the issue and Siddhant decided to kill himself, police said.

“He went into the kitchen and picked up a knife to kill himself, but he changed his mind after hearing his mother scream. He thought why should I kill myself, she is the problem so I will kill her,” said a police officer privy to the investigation.

The police said after stabbing her, he took a bath and changed his clothes and left home around 2pm, throwing the house key in the shoe rack. He left his phone behind and took around Rs2 lakh in cash from the house. He went to Santacruz railway station, which is a few minutes away from his residence, police said. He then took a local train to Borivli and took the first train out, which was heading towards Gujarat and got off at Surat. He then took another train from Surat heading towards Jaipur, police said.

Siddhant told the police he bought a new phone and called up a few people to tell them that he had killed his mother. “The police were alerted about his call and they began tracing his mobile phone,” said the officer. A police team from Vakola police station immediately took a flight to Jaipur on Wednesday night.

But Siddhant got off at Jodhpur on Thursday morning. “He said in his statement he was feeling tired so he decided to take some rest and checked into Dhoom Hotel at Jodhpur,” said the officer. The police traced his mobile phone in Jodhpur and alerted the local police. They also sent them Siddhant’s photograph. The police searched for him in all the hotels in the vicinity, eventually finding him at Dhoom hotel.

Siddhant told the police during interrogation he felt ‘relieved’ after the incident . He said he slipped into depression after seeing his parents fight on a regular basis. Also, he did not like his mother’s constant interference in his decisions like making friends or using WhatsApp, the police said. He was also getting angry with his mother for trying to choose his career path and constantly monitoring his performance, Siddhant told the police.

First Published: May 27, 2017 09:14 IST