Today in New Delhi, India
Sep 22, 2018-Saturday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Woman, daughter critical after their Mumbai apartment catches fire

The fire stared at Saisadan building after a gas leak caused an explosion at 6.44am

mumbai Updated: Feb 08, 2018 17:05 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Mumbai,Malvani,MHADA
The intensity of the blast was such that it damaged the walls and a computer monitor. (HT photo )

A woman and her daughter sustained grievous injuries after their apartment in a Malvani building caught fire on Thursday morning. The two were initially rushed to Care hospital, Malad, by their neighbours. The hospital staff said both the victims were brought in a critical condition. They were later shifted to Bombay hospital.

A firefighter said, “The fire call initially reported a gas leak, not a blaze. Hence, we sent one fire engine as a precautionary measure. By the time we reached the spot, the injured were taken to a nearby hospital.”

Fire brigade officials said the fire stared at Sai Sadan, a MHADA building, after a gas leak caused an explosion at 6.44am.

A fire official said, “Even gas leaked from a cylinder can cause a blast, if it comes in contact with a spark or a person switches on the lights. For such a blast to occur, the gas must have been leaking for some time. It is a small house so the residents may not have got ample time to escape.”

While Nilofer Shaikh, 32, sustained 80 per cent burns, her daughter Ikara sustained 30 per cent burns. Ikra is in a critical condition but stable. The two were rushed to the hospital by their neighbours before the fire fighters reached the spot.

Dr Azar Ali from Care Hospital said, “Since their condition was critical, they were shifted to the Bombay Hospital.”

First Published: Feb 08, 2018 14:23 IST