Ceiling collapse injures three children at Kalyan school
Three students of class five were injured when a part of asbestos ceiling collapsed in Kalyan zilla parishad school at Mharal Gaon on Wednesday.mumbai Updated: Jul 21, 2011 00:57 IST
Three students of class five were injured when a part of asbestos ceiling collapsed in Kalyan zilla parishad school at Mharal Gaon on Wednesday.
The incident reportedly took place when a teacher told two of the students to climb on the ceiling and fix leaking parts of the asbestos sheets.
One of the injured students, Ashwamedh Chandrakant Chabukswaar, said, “Our classroom ceiling was leaking at several places ever since the monsoons began.
This used to cause a lot of disruption during classes. Today, the school arranged for some leakage-fixing material from the market and our teacher asked two students, Ajay Patil and Vijay Dolas, to climb on the ceiling to fix the leakage.”
“Due to the rain, the asbestos sheets were wet and fragile, and the steel angles holding the sheets had accumulated rust as they are very old. So when
the students climbed, some angles broke and the ceiling collapsed with their weight,” he added.
Block development officer TO Chavan, Kalyan zilla parishad, said, “I immediately gave orders to repair the school ceiling. The work will be completed today itself.”
Chairman of the zilla parishad school committee, Pramod Hindurao, said, “We had sufficient funds in the school for repairs. But the school and gram panchayat did not send any proposal. Otherwise this incidence would not have taken place.”
First Published: Jul 21, 2011 00:56 IST