Gas leak at textile firm, 10 in hospital
Ten people were admitted to hospital after a gas leak, which also led to a major fire, at a textile company at Kalyan on Thursday.mumbai Updated: Oct 01, 2010 01:20 IST
Ten people were admitted to hospital after a gas leak, which also led to a major fire, at a textile company at Kalyan on Thursday.
The police said carbon disulphide leaked from an unused tank at NRC Ltd, which has been lying defunct.
As carbon disulphide is an inflammable gas, a fire broke out, said fire brigade officials.
Firemen were trying to control the blaze till the time of going to press. Sources said the fire is likely to go on till the gas in the tank is exhausted.
“We saw white smoke coming from the carbon disulphide plant of the company and informed the fire brigade,” said security officer, AM Shah.
Thirty people complained of suffocation and were taken to the Rukminibai Hospital of which 10 were admitted.
The tehsildar, Nitin Chavan and police officials also rushed to the site. “Some people complained of vomiting, while others felt drowsy,” said Sandip Fegade, a resident of Jai Santoshi Mata Nagar. “Some residents closed their doors and windows to avoid the effect of the gas.”
“A team of doctors who went there to treat those affected by the gas leak, were also affected so we called them back. They too were treated,” said Dr Kishore Bhise, health officer, Kalyan-Dombivli Municipal Corporation.
First Published: Oct 01, 2010 01:20 IST