‘Harassed’ VHP leader commits suicide | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 19, 2018-Monday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

‘Harassed’ VHP leader commits suicide

A Vishwa Hindu Parishad leader committed suicide on Thursday night at his residence in Gopalnagar, Dombivali.

mumbai Updated: Sep 12, 2009 01:17 IST
HT Correspondent

A Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) leader committed suicide on Thursday night at his residence in Gopalnagar, Dombivali (East).

He left behind a suicide note saying that he was being harassed. The Ramnagar police station has registered an accidental death report.

“Dinesh Gada (45) committed suicide by hanging himself from the ceiling fan with a nylon rope. At the time of his death, there was no one at his home,” said Police Sub-Inspector GS Rautmale.

Gada, who owns a printing press, is survived by wife Heena (43), son Sanket (18) and daughter Heeral (16).

“Sanket had gone for his chartered accountancy classes. Heeral had decided to stay back in order to study for the exams. But Gada compelled her to go. He even asked his mother-in-law to go to the neighbour’s house. He then hanged himself in the bedroom,” said Gada’s elder brother Kiran Gada (50).

Gada had left the main door open and when his daughter returned around 8.45 pm, she found him hanging. She called up Heena and Gada’s sister, who stays nearby.

“Gada had left behind two suicide notes, one addressed to Heena and the other to Assistant Commissioner of Police M.Y. Takle. In the note, he has asked for Heena’s forgiveness and to look after the kids,” said Gada’s brother-in-law Hasmukh Hariya (49).

“I have lots of troubles, which is why I’m committing suicide…I have never been involved in any criminal activity,” said Gada’s note to Takle.

“A month back, Gada told me that he was being harassed by the police. He came to know about Yash’s kidnapping through news and a friend. Cops had requested him to placate the Kutchi community members, who were agitated over the boy’s kidnapping. He even took the police’s side when a Dombivli bandh was declared by the community.

Few days later, he and other representatives of the community also met the ACP. He was also called to the police station two-three times. He felt he was being harassed and unnecessarily trapped in the Yash Shah case. We don’t know whether he was being harassed or not but he was very depressed because of it,” said Hariya.