Parents write to state edu minister against reforms
A group of 50 parents from the city have written to the state education minister opposing the reforms to the Joint Entrance Exam (JEE) from next year.Updated: Jun 05, 2012 00:47 IST
A group of 50 parents from the city have written to the state education minister opposing the reforms to the Joint Entrance Exam (JEE) from next year. They say the reforms have come too soon and that students appearing for the exam in 2013 will not have enough time to reorient themselves.
The human resources development ministry had announced last week that the JEE would be a two-step procedure with a first level screening test for Class 12 board marks and an advanced test to determine the JEE merit list. Education ministers from across the country will head to Delhi on Tuesday for a meeting organised by the HRD ministry.
The parents’ letter argues that students have been preparing since 2011. “The students’ efforts during the last year or two will go waste,” stated the letter. The letter has pointed out the flaws in the percentile system for comparing marks across boards and the logistical issues involved in a single common entrance exam. IIT alumni have already said they plan to move the court on the matter.
“Our children started preparing as early as Class 10,” said a parent. “For any change, enough time should be given beforehand. This is very unjust.”
The parents had approached the non-profit group Forum For Fairness in Education for its help on Sunday. “We support the alumni’s decision and will decide whether we will go to court ourselves,” said Jayant Jain, president of the forum.
First Published: Jun 05, 2012 00:46 IST