Parked motorcycles added fuel to fire
The fire on November 18 at HDIL complex at Bandra (East) could not be easily controlled because motorcycles were parked on the building premises.mumbai Updated: Nov 29, 2010 01:26 IST
The fire on November 18 at HDIL complex at Bandra (East) could not be easily controlled because motorcycles were parked on the building premises.
This is what the investigation report by the fire department has found out.
The report stated that there was a big explosion as the bikes’ tanks caught fire. It took the fire department more than six hours to douse the fire.
More than 150 people working in the building were rescued.
The fire department has now asked the HDIL building authorities to make basement parking mandatory.
The fire broke out in the second floor and the report said the wiring inside the electrical shaft was faulty, because of which the fire spread to the top seven floors.
There was a short circuit in the electrical shaft, on the east side on the second floor of the building, which had electric meters, air-condition ducting and wires passing through it. It also went downwards from a vertical shaft ending right above the parked bikes.
The report says the internal fire fighting equipment was not connected to the diesel generator sets. “The diesel generating sets in the building should be connected with fire fighting equipment in the next 15 days or else legal course can be taken,” said a senior fire official.
These sets are used as alternative electricity supply units in case of power disruption.
“The internal fire-fighting equipment could have been useful if the diesel generator sets were connected to them and we could have used it even when the power supply of the building was switched off,” said a fire officer on condition of anonymity.
First Published: Nov 29, 2010 01:25 IST