State floats new tenders for stalled CCTV project
In a development that puts the much-delayed CCTV plan for Mumbai back on track, the home department on Wednesday reinvited proposals for installing the proposed Rs. 800 crore surveillance system in the city, almost a month after it cancelled the previous tenders.
The project, announced to enhance security in the city after the 26/11 terror attacks, aims at installing 6,000 CCTV cameras in the city (14 cameras per sq km).
The call for tenders has been uploaded on the internet and requires reputed and experienced companies to participate in the competitive bidding process to Design, Implement and Operate (DIO) the project for 5 years, for which the deadline is October 9, 2012.
The project had earlier been allocated to a consortium led by Allied Digital Services (ADS), MTNL and DWPL, but fell out after it was found that ADS had been blacklisted by MTNL.
A senior government official, who was on the high-level committee formed to chart out the CCTV project, said that the team has charted out a list of requirements to make the tender process more stringent and only reputable companies will be chosen.
The tender specifies that the bidder should have an overall turnover of at least Rs. 10 crore over the last three financial years from similar projects.
"The companies should have worked on at least three projects of similar nature, at sensitive places such as defense laboratories, atomic power stations, international events, sporting events, airports/railway stations, other public places like hotels/colleges/hospitals - at multiple locations. Each of these projects should have at least 50 simultaneously working live cameras providing video feeds and Video Management System for managing these video feeds," the tender says.
"These conditions might result in foreign companies entering the consortiums, considering the amount of experience needed. We will have a strict system in place to scrutinise each tender closely," the official said.