State goofs again, 5,000 FYJC students don’t get seats
More than 5,000 students were left without a junior college seat even after five rounds of the online admission, when the third general merit list was declared on Monday evening.Updated: Aug 09, 2011 01:32 IST
More than 5,000 students were left without a junior college seat even after five rounds of the online admission, when the third general merit list was declared on Monday evening.
The education department will now conduct a special allocation round for these students. The new final online merit list will be declared on Friday at 10am.
The additional list for online admissions will delay the offline process for CBSE students who opted for the school exam instead of board exam and for international board students. The offline admissions will now begin on August 16 instead of August 11.
Last year, 4,479 students had not been allotted seats. The education department tried to rectify the error by asking students to fill in 35 college options. Yet, this year even more students – 5,191 – are still left out.
“These students filled in 35 options but even then they were not able to get into any college because their marks were not good enough,” said an official from the school education department.
There are other problems in the online process. Some students are stranded with lower preference colleges despite scoring high marks, wrong allotments and being unable to use the betterment option. “It’s irresponsible of the department,” said a student who gave Jai Hind as her first preference and scored higher than the cut-off but did not make it. She eventually got a seat through the management quota. “Had admissions been offline I would have appeared on the first list,” the student added.
In the third general list, arts cut-offs dropped the most, while commerce cut-offs stayed high. Science cut-offs varied.