Fire breaks out at hospital in Noida near Delhi, patients evacuated
The blaze was the result of a short circuit in a room in the basement of the hospital.Updated: Jan 10, 2020 06:47 IST
A fire broke out in the basement of the ESIC hospital in Sector 24 around 9.15am Thursday. No casualties, injuries were reported in the incident and all the patients were rescued safely from the seven-storey building.
Officials of the fire department said the fire was caused by a short circuit in the battery bank stored in the hospital’s basement. They added the hospital didn’t have the required no -objection certificate (NOC) for fire.
According to the officials, they received a call around 9:45 am after which fire tenders were immediately sent to the hospital. “Five water tankers were rushed to the spot and the fire was controlled in 30 minutes. As there was a lot of smoke, all the patients were immediately taken out of the hospital,” Kamlesh Kumar Mishra, fire safety officer (Noida), said.
“The initial investigation has shown that the short-circuit which took place in the battery bank lead to the fire in the basement which was being used as a server room, ”Mishra said.
Watch: Fire breaks out at Noida’s ESIC hospital, patients evacuated
In a letter submitted to the fire department, the hospital administration said at least 236 patients were admitted in the hospital when the fire broke. Around 32 critical patients were rushed to various hospitals in the district and Delhi like Kailash, Metro, Safdarjung Hospital, Lal Bahadur Shastri, Fellix Hospital, Prakash, Yatharth, Surbhi, Bharadwaj, district hospital among few others.
“Around 32 patients have been shifted to other hospitals in GB Nagar, Delhi and the district hospital. All patients didn’t need to be shifted as the fire was controlled soon. No patient or hospital staff got injured in the incident,” Anurag Bhargava, chief medical officer (Gautam Budh Nagar), said.
All the patients were moved to the hospital’s open area after the fire broke out. Many of them had to face a lot of trouble following the chilling weather conditions.
“I am a cancer patient and was also undergoing orthopedic treatment for my legs in the hospital. I was shifted to the open area after the fire broke out. It was really cold in the morning when we had to be shifted to the open area, ”Akhilesh Kumar, a patient, said.
Officials said the patients were shifted out as a precautionary measure because the smoke was really dense even after the fire was controlled. “The fire was controlled within 30 minutes but it took over four hours to remove the smoke from the basement and other parts of the hospital,” Mishra said.
Fire officials had to break the windows and open the terrace to make space for the smoke to go out.
“Both my legs are fractured and it was quite painful to be out in the open following the fire. The hospital staff helped us, but they couldn’t do much about the cold,” Babita, a patient, said.
According to the fire officials, the hospital didn’t have a fire NOC. “The hospital had applied for the fire NOC in July which was denied as they lacked required fire arrangements like automatic fire detection and fire alarms, water sprinkling facility. The hospital was asked to complete all the formalities to get the NOC but they never applied for it again or got back to us,” Mishra said.
The fire department said it will serve a notice to the hospital and ask its management to meet all the required demands to acquire the fire NOC within a stipulated time.
“We will be serving a notice to the hospital, but if they will fail to meet the requirements then action will be taken against them under the Uttar Pradesh Fire Prevention and Fire Safety Act, 2005,” the fire safety officer said.