Sergio Perez confident Force India will be racing at Belgian Grand Prix
Sergio Perez said Thursday he felt confident that Force India would take part in this weekend’s Belgian Grand Prix despite a recent change of ownership.
The Mexican driver, whose court action placed the team in administration last month, told reporters that he believed it will be “business as usual”.
“As far as I’m concerned, it’s business as usual,” he said.
“I’m here to drive and do my job. And I’m looking forward to enjoying the weekend and focussing on the driving. That’s my priority.”
Perez added that he was satisfied with the changes being made to the team structure following its purchase by Canadian businessman Lawrence Stroll, father of Williams driver Lance Stroll.
“The team is quite optimistic, quite happy, we can see a release on the upgrades coming for the future,” said Perez. “We see a different structure and, financially, the team has a much more stable future for the coming years.
“I was at the factory in the week and (in) the people I was seeing, there was a lot of enthusiasm, a lot of ‘positive-ness’ going forwards, so definitely a good signal.
“I’m just a driver and I’m here to perform at my best, and it’s been quite difficult the last couple of months - I’m able to focus now on being a racing driver.”
Perez is widely expected to stay with Force India next year, but was coy about confirming his plans amid rumours that Haas are interested in signing him.
The team’s deputy principal Bob Fernley, a long-term supporter of former owner Vijay Mallya, was the main casualty of Stroll’s takeover, according to sources close to the team.
Stroll and a consortium of investors rescued the team from administration and said they will ensure their participation for the rest of 2018, but reports of a possible name change have clouded the issue as that would mean a new entrant being accepted by the sport’s ruling body.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Seven of India’s nine Tokyo Olympics-bound boxers won medals, some of them beating world class boxers. Manish Kaushik (63kg) was the star as he made an impressive return from injury–tear in the biceps required surgery in May—and won gold in his first event after the tough recovery phase.
- The Belarusian coach, who mentored India’s top women distance runners to international medals, was found dead at NIS Patiala on Friday
- Officials in Anoka County, Minnesota, confirmed Friday that Pavelich died at the Eagle's Healing Nest in Sauk Centre, Minnesota, on Thursday morning. The cause and manner of death are still pending.
- Makhachev has an impressive record of 18 wins and only one loss and is a former teammate of retired lightweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov.
- ‘India Unleashed’, an event sanctioned by the Indian Boxing Commission (IBC), Goraya wants to rope in changes with USA styled boxing format and help ring in the changes for professional boxing in India.