24 killed as boat capsizes in Bihar
At least two dozen people, of them 23 women, were drowned when a boat capsized on Wednesday in river Ganga in Bihar's Khagaria district, officials in Patna said.
Khagaria District Magistrate UN Thakur said bodies of 24 people were recovered during rescue operations. Four people managed to swim ashore.
Thakur said the boat overturned due to over crowding. All the victims were identified as poor farm labourers from a nearby village.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- A senior BJP leader said that the matter would be amicably resolved soon as it was in the interest of all NDA allies.
- At least two police vehicles were damaged in the incident which took place around 7pm on Saturday in the West Champaran district.
- RJD state president Jagdanand Singh has already directed party’s district presidents to mobilise workers for the event.
- Many Congress leaders believe that the new All India Congress Committee (AICC) in-charge for Bihar, Bhakta Charan Das, will have a difficult time renewing the organisation in the face of factional feuds in the state unit and a fear of split.
- A directive by the Bihar police said it was imperative that appropriate action should be taken against persons putting social media posts having offensive or abusive tenor.
- The sand mafia in Bihar was highly frustrated after the state government’s recent ban on transportation of sand and stone chips, by trucks with 14 or more wheels, to prevent overloading.
- Last year, farmers of the Seemanchal region were compelled to sell maize at throw away prices against the MSP of ₹1850 per quintal.