Govt cancer care centre to come up soon in Jalandhar district | punjab | jalandhar | Hindustan Times
  • Monday, Jul 23, 2018
  •   °C  
Today in New Delhi, India
Jul 23, 2018-Monday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Govt cancer care centre to come up soon in Jalandhar district

Good News: The health department’s engineering wing officials found the land around the 1011.71 sq m, inside the civil hospital. It will be a 50- beds facility centre and the second proposal in Doaba after Hoshiarpur district.

punjab Updated: Oct 26, 2017 15:49 IST
Jatinder Kohli
Jatinder Kohli
Hindustan Times, Jalandhar
Govt cancer care centre,cancer care,Jalandhar district
The project will come up in the period of 18 months at a cost of ₹45 crore. (HT File )

The health department has been identifying land near Shaheed Babu Labh Singh Civil Hospital, indicating for the district to soon have a cancer hospital, in future.

The health department’s engineering wing officials have reportedly found the land around the 1011.71 sq m (2 kanal) in the backside of Shaheed Babu Labh Singh Nursing School, inside the civil hospital. It will be a 50- beds facility centre.

“The proposal is on preliminary stage. We have received the letter from Chandigarh headquarters for the identification of land,” GS Sandhu, the executive engineer said.

At present, the patients in Doaba region have to travel long distances to get the cancer treatment.

It will be the second proposal of such health facility centre in Doaba after Hoshiarpur district and the department will soon start the centre’s construction.

For the Hoshiarpur cancer care centre, the foundation stone was laid on February 28, 2014. Hoshiarpur was identified for strengthening the cancer centre under the National Programme for Prevention and Control of cancer, diabetes, cardiovascular diseases and stroke (NPCDCS).

National health mission director, Varun Roozam said that in Hoshiarpur, 60 % of the grant will be borne by the central government and the rest 40 % will be contributed by the state government for the construction.It will come up in the period of 18-months and cost Rs 45 crore, he added.

He said that similar territory cancer centre is under construction at Fazilka and will be completed soon.

A senior official said that these proposals are being mooted to provide better treatment facilities in government health institutions for cancer patients in the state.He said that a relief of Rs 1.5 lakh will be given to the cancer patients under the chief minister’s Punjab Cancer Relief Fund programme.

At present, the patients in Doaba region have to travel long distances to get the cancer treatment. But with these two government hospital centres, affordable health services will be provided to them at their doorsteps, the official added.

In the previous years, with the help of Tata Memorial Research Centre Mumbai and Homi Bhaba Cancer Hospital, Sangrur Cancer Hospital was established, he claimed.