Gurdaspur girls did not drown while clicking selfie; cooked up story to flee home: Witness
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 18, 2019-Friday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Gurdaspur girls did not drown while clicking selfie; cooked up story to flee home: Witness

17-year-old Sophia, sister of Lovepreet, spilled the beans during questioning by police, leaving security officials shocked.

punjab Updated: Jul 17, 2017 09:19 IST
Vishal Sally
Vishal Sally
Gurdaspur selfie,Gurdaspur girls selfie,Gurdaspur selfie death
Police had initiated rescue operations on after it was reported that Lovepreet Kaur (in pic) and Nisha have drowned in a canal.(HT File)

A day after reports that two young women had drowned in a canal near Sathiali village, 25 km from here, while they were clicking a selfie on the banks, their companion at the time revealed that it never happened. On Saturday, police said Sophia (16), who was with her sister Lovepreet (21) and cousin Nisha (18) on the pretext of a morning walk on Friday, told them that they had actually fled with unidentified person(s) in a car.

While some new reports claimed more detail about who they fled with, police said Sophia claimed to not have any further information about the car or its occupants.

On Friday evening, rescuers failed to trace the bodies of the two women — who were reported to be minors on Friday — even after the district administration got stopped the flow of water into the Upper Bist-Doab Canal (UBDC). Army divers too failed to find any trace, at which the police started questioning Sophia, and she said they had fled in a car.

After an hour, she cooked up another story, that “the girls have gone to Mumbai to live a lavish life”, police said. The trio had stayed together at Sophia’s house on Thursday night. While Lovepreet is a BA student at SM college, Kahnuwan, Nisha passed Class 12 this year. Lovepreet and Sophia’s father, Balwinder Masih, is a travel agent and also runs a grocery shop in the village. He refused to comment.

“We are working on various theories,” said BS Virk, senior superintendent of police (SSP), Gurdaspur. “Sophia, the lone eyewitness, is changing her statements time and again. Teams have been sent to various cities and, hopefully, we will trace them within 24 hours.”

No case has so far been registered. “Once the girls are traced or their bodies were recovered, a case will be registered,” he said.

First Published: Jul 15, 2017 19:46 IST