PUBLISHED ON MAR 05, 2021 10:45 AM IST
European airlines on Thursday renewed a push to relax refund rules as EU auditors and the European Commission started separate probes into air passenger rights and whether they were being respected.
PUBLISHED ON MAR 05, 2021 10:18 AM IST
The move underscores a growing frustration within the 27-nation bloc about the slow rollout of its vaccine drive and the shortfall of promised vaccine deliveries.
PUBLISHED ON MAR 04, 2021 08:27 PM IST
- Even though the gender pay gap across the 27-nation bloc has been reduced to 14% for people doing exactly the same work, the European Commission wants to eliminate the disparity by imposing specific rules to make pay levels public.
PUBLISHED ON MAR 04, 2021 06:45 PM IST
The EU executive arm said the European Union should boost employment to 78% in 2030 from 73% in 2019, halve the gap between the number of employed women and men and cut the number of young people neither working nor studying to 9% from 12.6%
PUBLISHED ON MAR 04, 2021 06:10 PM IST
They gave Frontex Executive Director Fabrice Leggeri two months to respond or face action at the European Court of Justice.
UPDATED ON MAR 04, 2021 04:54 PM IST
- “Previous pay has no bearing on skills and the abilities of the applicant for work and that’s why we believe this must not be revealed if the employee does not want to.” EU Equality Commissioner Helena Dalli said.
PUBLISHED ON MAR 03, 2021 02:39 PM IST
The system being developed by the European Commission would confirm holders have recently tested negative, been fully vaccinated, or recovered from the coronavirus and are thus presumed to be immune.
PUBLISHED ON FEB 26, 2021 06:12 PM IST
- Britain's financial services industry has been largely cut off from the EU, its biggest customer, since a Brexit transition period ended on Dec. 31 as the sector is not covered by the UK-EU trade deal.
PUBLISHED ON FEB 26, 2021 03:56 PM IST
“This is an occasion that we cannot miss,” to revive the 2015 Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action, or JCPOA, EU foreign policy chief Josep Borrell told reporters via video-link.
PUBLISHED ON FEB 26, 2021 02:29 PM IST
During a five-hour video call, the EU’s 27 leaders focused on how to haul their nations back to a form of normalcy after a pandemic that’s claimed more than 500,000 lives and shut down large parts of their economies.
Posted by Harshit Sabarwal | AP
PUBLISHED ON FEB 26, 2021 03:15 AM IST
However, the leaders could offer no prospect of short-term respite for curfew-weary, mask-wearing citizens, many of whom have often worked from home over the last year — if they have not lost their jobs.
PUBLISHED ON FEB 25, 2021 06:29 PM IST
Two officials with the bloc's executive European Commission estimated that around 400 million doses of "ghost" vaccine had been offered by fraudsters at a price of up to 3 billion euros ($3.67 billion).
PUBLISHED ON FEB 24, 2021 11:12 PM IST
However, France and Germany appear more reluctant, as officials there say it could create de facto vaccination obligation.
PUBLISHED ON FEB 24, 2021 05:14 PM IST
- Extreme weather events, such as forest fires and heatwaves in the Arctic Circle, droughts in the south and flooding and forest loss in central and eastern Europe, are already having far-reaching effects on the European economy.
PUBLISHED ON FEB 24, 2021 12:34 PM IST
European Union government leaders will agree on Thursday to maintain curbs on non-essential travel within the EU despite the bloc's executive asking six countries to ease border restrictions on Tuesday.
ANI, Brussels, Belgium
PUBLISHED ON FEB 23, 2021 10:13 PM IST
"I want to reiterate the European Union's call on China to comply with its obligations on the national and international law to respect and protect human rights," EU foreign policy chief Josep Borrell said.
Posted by Ayshee Bhaduri | Reuters
UPDATED ON FEB 23, 2021 09:19 PM IST
- Britain, Germany and Japan have also condemned the violence in Myanmar and UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres urged the military to stop repression.
PUBLISHED ON FEB 22, 2021 05:51 PM IST
EU foreign ministers targeted the 19 with asset freezes and travel bans “in view of the deteriorating situation in Venezuela following the December 2020 elections.” The main opposition parties boycotted those polls.
PUBLISHED ON FEB 22, 2021 03:53 PM IST
“The European Union calls for de-escalation of the current crisis through an immediate end to the state of emergency, the restoration of the legitimate civilian government and the opening of the newly elected parliament,” the ministers said in a statement
PUBLISHED ON FEB 20, 2021 02:33 PM IST
Earlier, a Moscow court had sent Navalny to prison for more than two-and-a-half years.
By hindustantimes.com, Hindustan Times, New Delhi
PUBLISHED ON FEB 19, 2021 09:02 PM IST
- Here are today’s top news, analysis, and opinion. Know all about the latest news and other news updates from Hindustan Times.
PUBLISHED ON FEB 18, 2021 06:35 PM IST
"Trade policy must fully support the green and digital transformations of our economy and lead global efforts to reform the WTO," EU Executive Vice President Valdis Dombrovskis said.
PUBLISHED ON FEB 16, 2021 04:07 AM IST
"As of now, and in parallel to the efforts being made on the current vaccines, we have to help industrial companies develop production capacities for second generation vaccines," von der Leyen was quoted as saying.
PUBLISHED ON FEB 15, 2021 12:52 PM IST
In the EU-China Comprehensive Agreement on Investment is expected to face intense resistance from some European lawmakers, while international unionists, who say the pact will do nothing to stop human rights abuses or protect labour rights in China, have vowed to ramp up pressure over the deal.
PUBLISHED ON FEB 13, 2021 04:51 PM IST
China's move Thursday was largely symbolic, because BBC World was shown only on cable TV systems in hotels and apartment compounds for foreigners and some other businesses.
UPDATED ON FEB 12, 2021 06:48 PM IST
Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said in televised remarks that Russia doesn't want to be isolated but must increase its self-sufficiency to face potential EU sanctions.
PUBLISHED ON FEB 12, 2021 09:02 AM IST
The move came a day after USTR said it looked forward to working with European allies to resolve a 16-year-long battle over subsidies provided to Europe's Airbus and its US rival Boeing Co.
PUBLISHED ON FEB 11, 2021 05:32 PM IST
- "For the EU on average, the exit of the UK from the European Union on Free Trade Agreement terms is estimated to generate an output loss of around 0.5% of GDP by the end of 2022, and some 2.25% point for the UK," the European Commission said.
PUBLISHED ON FEB 10, 2021 04:48 PM IST
- “We are still not where we want to be. We were late to authorize. We were too optimistic when it came to massive production and perhaps we were too confident that, what we ordered, would actually be delivered on time," Ursula von der Leyen told EU plenary.
PUBLISHED ON FEB 07, 2021 01:00 PM IST
India hosted the first India-EU high-level dialogue (HLD) on Friday through virtual mode. The HLD was co-chaired by Union Minister of Commerce and Industry, Piyush Goyal, and European Commission Executive Vice-President & Trade Commissioner, Valdis Dombrovskis.