'De-Nazify Ukraine? Not true': Arnold Schwarzenegger's powerful appeal. Watch

Moscow's offensive in Ukraine is in its 23rd day with no hopes of the war ending anytime soon despite both countries meeting again for peace talks.
Schwarzenegger heaped praises on Russians protesting against the war at the risk of getting arrested and called them his "new heroes".(AFP file photo)
Schwarzenegger heaped praises on Russians protesting against the war at the risk of getting arrested and called them his "new heroes".(AFP file photo)
Updated on Mar 18, 2022 06:25 AM IST
Copy Link
By | Edited by Swati Bhasin, New Delhi

Hollywood legend Arnold Schwarzenegger has tweeted a powerful video appeal in the midst of civilians coming under attack in Ukraine every day with tens of thousands of people forced out of their homes, and many of them into the bomb shelters, according to Kyiv. "I love the Russian people. That is why I have to tell you the truth," the 74-year-old actor-politician is heard saying in the clip. While he has called out Russia's Vladimir Putin to end the "senseless war", he also says that the Kremlin has lied "not only to its people but also to its soldiers".

Click here for full coverage of the Ukraine war

Schwarzenegger, the former California governor, also heaps praises on Russians protesting against the war at the risk of getting arrested and called them his "new heroes". To Putin, he said, “You started this war. You are leading this war. You can stop this war.”

"I'm speaking to you today because there are things going on in the world that are being kept from you, terrible things that you should know about... Ukraine did not start this war," the Hollywood superstar, and seven-time Mr Olympia, says in an emotional message for the people and soldiers of Russia.

"When I see babies being pulled out of rubble, I think that I am watching the horrors of the second world war, not the news of today," the "Terminator" star says. He also insists that people have been told lies for what has been called 'a special military operation by Russia' - "The strength and the heart of the Russian people have always inspired me. That is why I hope that you will let me tell you the truth about the war in Ukraine. I know that your government has told you that this is a war to 'de-Nazify' Ukraine. This is not true. Those in power in the Kremlin started this war."

Also Read| G7 warns war criminals in Ukraine 'will be held responsible'

He also recalled the wounds his father Gustav Schwarzenegger sustained while fighting for Nazis in Russia during the Second World War. “He was broken physically and mentally and lived the rest of his life in pain. To the Russian troops listening to this broadcast... I don't want you to be broken like my father,” the former California governor is heard saying. "This is not the war to defend Russia that your grandfathers or your great-grandfathers fought. This is an illegal war. Your lives, your limbs, your futures have been sacrificed for a senseless war condemned by the entire world."

Moscow's offensive in Ukraine is in its 23rd day with no hopes of the war ending anytime soon despite both countries meeting again for peace talks. Ukraine's capital city Kyiv continues to be hit by Russian shelling. According to the United Nations, over 2,000 civilians have died in the war so far and 3.2 million have fled to neighbouring countries. On Thursday, the Ukrainian government said that 3,810 people were evacuated through humanitarian corridors.

On Moscow facing global isolation, Schwarzenegger further underlined, "The world has turned against Russia because of its actions in Ukraine -- whole city blocks have been flattened by Russian artillery and bombs, including a children's hospital and a maternity hospital."

 

 

 

 

 

SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
Close Story
QUICKREADS

Less time to read?

Try Quickreads

  • Robert E Crimo was arrested hours after Illinois was gripped by shock and horror. 

    In July 4 US parade shooting, suspect held hours after 6 killed, dozens injured

    Robert E Crimo III, a person of interest linked to a shooting in the United States that killed six people and wounded more than 36, has been held. This is the latest incident of gun violence rearing its ugly head in the country. Here are top updates on the latest shooting incident in the US: 1. In his first reaction, hours after the shooting, US president Joe Biden said he was shocked.

  • China scrambles to contain fresh Covid outbreak

    China scrambles to contain fresh Covid outbreak

    A county in China's eastern Anhui province is carrying out daily nucleic acid tests on 763,000 locked down residents while mass tests have been ordered for other areas, as authorities scramble to contain a fresh surge in Covid-19 cases in the country. For China, it will have to be a pragmatic balance between its avowed zero-Covid strategy - marked by lockdowns, large-scale testing campaigns and strict isolation protocols - and allowing normal economic activity.

  • Russian President Vladimir Putin. 

    Putin orders Russians to fight on after key Ukraine city falls

    President Vladimir Putin on Monday ordered Russian troops to press their offensive deeper into the Donbas region of eastern Ukraine after Moscow's forces seized the strategic city of Lysychansk. In a sign there would be no let-up in the fighting and that Russia now had its eyes on the entire Donetsk region, Putin told Russian Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu that troops stationed there must continue their operations.

  • July 4th parade shooting: Joe Biden pledges to find gunman who killed six

    On July 4 parade shooting, Biden pledges to find gunman who killed 6: ‘Shocked’

    President Joe Biden said he spoke with officials in Illinois after a mass shooting in a suburb of Chicago and pledged federal law enforcement assistance in finding the gunman. Six were killed and dozens injured in an attack on an Independence Day parade in Highland Park, according to the Lake County Sheriff's office. The suspect remained at large as of late afternoon on Monday.

  • Hacker offers to sell stolen records of 1bn China’s citizens

    Hacker offers to sell stolen records of 1bn China’s citizens

    A hacker has claimed to have procured a trove of personal information from the Shanghai police on one billion Chinese citizens, which tech experts say, if true, would be one of the biggest data breaches in history. The anonymous internet user, identified as "ChinaDan", posted on hacker forum Breach Forums last week offering to sell the more than 23 terabytes (TB) of data for 10 bitcoin, equivalent to about $200,000.

SHARE
Story Saved
×
Saved Articles
Following
My Reads
Sign out
New Delhi 0C
Tuesday, July 05, 2022