Prominent Madhesi party to boycott second phase of Nepal local polls

Updated on Jun 11, 2017 09:26 PM IST
The Rastriya Janata Party-Nepal will organise local strikes in Madhes, Tharuhat and Limbuwan focusing on the nomination days--June 13 to 16--and a national indefinite general strike from June 24.
A Nepalese election commission officer empties a ballot box prior to counting the votes of local elections in Kathmandu on May 15. The second phase of the polls is scheduled on June 28.(AP File)
A Nepalese election commission officer empties a ballot box prior to counting the votes of local elections in Kathmandu on May 15. The second phase of the polls is scheduled on June 28.(AP File)
Hindustan Times, Kathmandu | ByAnil Giri, Kathmandu

A prominent faction of Madhes-based parties in Nepal on Sunday decided to boycott the local polls and announced a general strike ahead of the elections scheduled for June 28.

The Rastriya Janata Party-Nepal, a coalition of seven parties led by Mahanta Thakur, announced fresh protests saying all doors have been shut for meaningful talks with the government on amending the Constitution to meet demands of the Madhesis.

Local general strikes will be held in Madhes, Tharuhat and Limbuwan focusing on the nomination days--June 13 to 16--and a national indefinite general strike will be organised from June 24.

Another faction of Madhes-based parties led by Upendra Yadav and Bijaya Kumar Gachhadar have already decided to take part in the elections.

A meeting held by the ruling Nepali Congress and CPN (Maoist Centre) with RJP-N earlier on Sunday ended inconclusively, leading to the latter's decision to go for protests.

The ruling alliance called it unfortunate and urged the RJP-N not to resort to protests.

“This election is going to be an illegitimate one”, said Thakur, claiming his coalition was forced to announce protests after the government failed to fulfil their concerns.  “Since the dialogues also failed to yield any positive results, we have decided to begin struggle from Monday.”

Thakur said the government failed to fulfil the commitments such as declaring those who died in the Madhesi agitation as martyrs, withdrawing fake cases, releasing those languishing in prisons and compensating those injured during the anti-Constitution protests.

“Cabinet has taken initiative to fulfil some demands but they were not implemented yet,” he said, adding the government also failed to endorse the amendment proposal registered in the Parliament and to increase the number of local administrative units in the plains on the basis of population.

The protests would begin from Monday with torch rallies at different parts of the country including district headquarters.

The RJP-N will padlock all elections offices throughout the four provinces on June 16 on the nomination day and hold rallies in districts across Tarai region.

On June 19, rallies would be organised at all the district headquarters of four provinces and from June 20 to 28, the coalition of Madhesi and ethnic groups would disturb all election-related activities. 

SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
Close Story
QUICKREADS

Less time to read?

Try Quickreads

  • FILE PHOTO: The Mumbai-born novelist was speaking at an event at the Chautauqua Institution when the suspect ran up onto the stage and attacked Mr Rushdie and an interviewer.

    Terrible day for authors everywhere, say Salman Rushdie’s peers after NY attack

    Moments after the 75-year-old Booker Prize winner Salman Rushdie was attacked on a stage in New York, several celebrated authors took to Twitter to express their concern. READ Salman Rushdie is alive and airlifted to safety, says New York governorDelhi-based author-historian Willian Dalrymple said it was a terrible day for literature. The author was then transported by helicopter to a local hospital.

  • Videograb from aTwitter user showing Salman Rushdie being loaded onto a medical evacuation helicopter at Chautauqua, New York. 

    Salman Rushdie is alive and airlifted to safety, says New York governor

    British author Salman Rushdie, who was attacked and stabbed in the neck at a literary event on Friday in western New York state, is alive and has been airlifted to safety, said New York's governor Kathy Hochul. Rushdie, whose writings made him the target of Iranian death threats, was taken by helicopter to a local hospital. Social media footage showed people rushing to Rushdie's aid and administrating emergency medical care.

  • Author Salman Rushdie, behind screen left, is tended to after he was attacked during a lecture in New York.

    Author Salman Rushdie attacked at New York event: Top points to know

    Mumbai-born author Salman Rushdie was attacked on a stage on Friday, minutes before he was set to give a lecture during an event in New York, United States. According to the latest information being shared by multiple news agencies, a man stormed the stage as the Mumbai-born author was being introduced by the anchor of the event. He then allegedly "punched and stabbed" Rushdie. His identity has not yet been released.

  • The author was taken or fell to the floor, and the man was restrained.

    Author Salman Rushdie stabbed at New York event, attacker held

    British author Salman Rushdie, whose writings made him the target of Iranian death threats that forced him into hiding, was attacked on stage Friday in western New York state. "A most horrible event just happened at #chautauquainstitution - Salman Rushdie was attacked on stage at #chq2022. The amphitheater is evacuated," one witness said on social media. Rushdie's condition was not immediately known.

  • This 2014 illustration made available by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention depicts a polio virus particle.

    Polio detected in New York's sewage water, suggests virus circulating

    The polio virus has been found in New York City's wastewater in another sign that the disease, which hadn't been seen in the U.S. in a decade, is quietly spreading among unvaccinated people, health officials said Friday. State Health Commissioner Dr. Mary T. Bassett said the detection of poliovirus in wastewater samples in New York City is alarming but not surprising.

SHARE
Story Saved
×
Saved Articles
Following
My Reads
Sign out
New Delhi 0C
Friday, August 12, 2022
Start 15 Days Free Trial Subscribe Now