‘Racist’ letter with white powder sent to Prince Harry, Meghan Markle: Report | world news | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Aug 19, 2018-Sunday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

‘Racist’ letter with white powder sent to Prince Harry, Meghan Markle: Report

London’s Metropolitan Police said the substance was tested and confirmed as non-suspicious.

world Updated: Feb 22, 2018 20:14 IST
Press Trust of India
Press Trust of India
Press Trust of India, London
Prince Harry,Meghan Markle,Prince Harry Meghan Markle wedding
Britain's Prince Harry and his fiancée US actress Meghan Markle attend a reception for young people in the Palace of Holyroodhouse in Edinburgh, during their visit to Scotland on February 13. (AFP file)

A letter with white powder was sent to Britain’s Prince Harry and his fiancee Meghan Markle, the Evening Standard newspaper reported on Thursday, saying it was also believed to contain a racist message.

The paper said officers from the Metropolitan Police’s counter-terrorism command were called in after the letter was received on February 12 at a sorting office in St James’s Palace in central London.

But analysis of the powder found that it was harmless.

Contacted by AFP, Prince Harry’s press service at Kensington Palace declined to comment on the report.

“Police are investigating after a package containing a substance was delivered to St James’s Palace on Monday, 12 February,” police said in a statement.

“The substance was tested and confirmed as non-suspicious. Officers are also investigating an allegation of malicious communications which relates to the same package,” the statement said.

The Evening Standard said police were believed to be examining whether the incident was linked to a package containing white powder that was sent to the British parliament on February 13.

The couple are due to marry in Windsor on May 19.

When their relationship was first revealed in 2016, Harry issued a strongly-worded statement against media harassment of his mixed-race girlfriend.

Harry’s communications secretary Jason Knauf said at the time that Markle had been the subject of “a wave of abuse and harassment”.

“Prince Harry is worried about Ms Markle’s safety and is deeply disappointed that he has not been able to protect her,” Knauf said then.

First Published: Feb 22, 2018 20:14 IST