Afghan man pleads not guilty of plotting major terror attack
An Afghan national today pleaded not guilty to plotting a major terror attack in New York with international ramifications using chemicals and was ordered to be held without bail.world Updated: Sep 30, 2009 13:04 IST
An Afghan national on Wednesday pleaded not guilty to plotting a major terror attack in New York with international ramifications using chemicals and was ordered to be held without bail.
A lawyer for 24-year-old Denver airport shuttle driver Najibullah Zazi entered the plea infront of a US District Court Judge Raymond J Dearie in Brooklyn.
Last week, he was charged with "conspiracy to use one or more weapons of mass destruction" within the United States by a grand jury in New York. The chief prosecutor, Jeffery Knox, told the judge that the conspiracy was "international in scope."
In court documents the Justice Department said that Zazi purchased "large quantities of hydrogen peroxide" and acetone from beauty supply stores in Denver over the last three months.
Prosecutors believe Zazi received explosives training from al-Qaida in Pakistan and may have planned to target mass transit in the New York City area. The authorities here have noted that the Zazi case is emerging to be the most serious terrorist attempt since 9/11.
"We are investigating a wide range of leads related to this alleged conspiracy, and we will continue to work round the clock to ensure that anyone involved is brought to justice," said Attorney General Eric H Holder.