Islamic State claims responsibility for Tunisia attack
Islamic State claimed responsibility on Wednesday for an attack on a Tunisian presidential guard bus, an official statement from the group said.world Updated: Nov 25, 2015 20:42 IST
Islamic State claimed responsibility on Wednesday for an attack on a Tunisian presidential guard bus, an official statement from the group said.
It said a Tunisian suicide bomber named “Abou Abdallah al-Tounissi” carried out Tuesday’s attack, which killed 12 presidential guards.
Tunisian authorities said that a suicide bomber carried out the attack on Tuesday, which killed at least 12 people and forced the government to impose a nationwide state of emergency.
Earlier, the interior ministry said 10 kilos of explosives in either a vest or a rucksack was used for carrying out the bombing.
“The terrorist attack was committed using a backpack or vest containing 10 kilos of explosives,” a ministry statement said, without specifying whether it was a suicide bombing.
It said the12 presidential guards killed in the attack on their bus in Tunis on Tuesday had been identified based on their fingerprints.
“The 13th body is believed to be that of the terrorist who caused the explosion,” the ministry said, adding that DNA tests were being carried out to try to identify the suspected attacker.
The authorities imposed a nationwide state of emergency and a 9 pm to 5 am curfew in the capital following the bombing, the latest attack in a country plagued by Islamist violence.
First Published: Nov 25, 2015 20:41 IST