Mumbai suspects’ lawyer questions their custody status
Questions were raised on the status of the six top LeT operatives arrested for their suspected role in the Mumbai terror attacks, including Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi, by their lawyer.world Updated: Feb 16, 2009 20:44 IST
Questions were raised on Monday on the status of the six top LeT operatives arrested for their suspected role in the Mumbai terror attacks, including Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi, by their lawyer, who claimed that only one of the accused had been remanded to police custody.
Shahbaz Rajput, who says he has been retained by the families of the suspects, claimed that officials of an anti-terrorism court had told him that only one of the accused Lashker-e-Taiba operative Hamad Amin Sadiq had been remanded to the custody of the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) for 14 days.
Rajput told reporters that five other suspects had not been remanded to police custody. He did not give details.
There was no official word on the issue.
Earlier reports had said that at least six suspects, including LeT operations commander Lakhvi and communications expert Zarar Shah, had been remanded to the custody of the FIA on Saturday by the anti-terrorism court.
Interior ministry chief Rehman Malik last week said Pakistan had filed formal charges against nine suspects, including Ajmal Amir Kasab, the lone terrorist captured in India for the Mumbai attacks.
Malik had also said six of the suspects were in the custody of Pakistani authorities while two others had been identified but were still at large.
First Published: Feb 16, 2009 20:42 IST