SM Krishna begins Lanka visit Thursday
External affairs minister SM Krishna’s three-day tour of Sri Lanka beginning Thursday, the most high-profile visit of an Indian minister, could well have at least three lofty goals: send a message loud and clear that Indo-Lanka relations were moving beyond the Lankan civil war; tell Colombo that New Delhi wanted some visible movement towards politically settling the ethnic issue as Mahinda Rajapaksa was now firmly set for a six-year rule without any political constraint in sight; and subtly but assuredly counter China’s increasing financial and diplomatic clout here.
Economics, of course, would be on the top of the official agenda. Details were already being chalked out for the visit of Indian minister for commerce and industry, Anand Sharma, to further cement economic ties.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- YouTube in late January suspended Trump's channel, joining other social media platforms in banning his accounts following the deadly January 6 Capitol riot.
- The opposition currently has 53 seats in the 100-member Senate, while Khan’s ruling alliance has 47 seats.
- The threat appears to be connected to a far-right conspiracy theory, mainly promoted by supporters of QAnon, that former president Trump will rise again to power on March 4 and that thousands will come to Washington, DC, to try to remove Democrats from office.
- At least 700 people were detained on Wednesday alone, with many of them reportedly swept up as forces conducted door-to-door searches.
- It has been taken to a different level by the Biden administration, accorded the same significance as Europe, which has dominated US diplomatic and military thinking and spending for more than a century now, starting with World War I.
- The regulator said the review is based on results from research in adults, which suggests the vaccine may help protect against the coronavirus.
- With over 11,600 square metres of habitable space, the commercial station will have many features expected in a cruise ship.