Tehran to persist with its nuclear activities
Foreign ministry of Iran says Tehran will remain steady in pursuing its disputed nuclear programme.world Updated: Jul 17, 2007 02:45 IST
Tehran will remain steady in pursuing its disputed nuclear programme, and hopes that the United Nations Security Council would not sanction it for this, said the foreign ministry of Iran on Monday.
"Nuclear activities of Iran continue in a defined and clear framework," Foreign Ministry spokesman Mohammad Ali Hosseini said at his weekly news conference.
He dismissed the earlier reports saying that Iran had slowed down the pace of its uranium enrichment programme.
The Security Council has imposed two sets of sanctions on Iran since December over the Islamic republic's refusal to halt enrichment.
A third resolution is being pushed by the United States and its allies at the Council, and Hosseini acknowledged on Sunday that Iran was bracing for this.
"The third resolution would have its impact on Iran," the spokesman said.
Hosseini said that Tehran would try to avoid the new sanctions by pursuing a policy that steers its nuclear programme away from Security Council scrutiny.
This statement appeared to refer to an agreement reached last week between Iran and the UN's nuclear watchdog for a new negotiations framework.
Iran contends that its nuclear programme is purely peaceful, but the United States and its allies suspect enriched uranium could be used to make atomic bombs.
The UN's International Atomic Energy Agency said on Friday that Tehran had agreed to answer questions on past nuclear experiments and would allow UN nuclear inspectors to visit facilities they had previously been barred from.
First Published: Jul 17, 2007 02:41 IST