US condemns Lahore bombings
The US on Wednesday denounced a deadly suicide car bombing in Pakistan's eastern city of Lahore and said Washington would continue to support Islamabad's effort to combat terrorism.world Updated: May 28, 2009 02:34 IST
The US on Wednesday denounced a deadly suicide car bombing in Pakistan's eastern city of Lahore and said Washington would continue to support Islamabad's effort to combat terrorism.
"Our deepest condolences go out to the innocent victims and their families. There is no political cause that justifies killing innocent people," State Department spokesman Ian Kelly told reporters in response to a question at his daily press briefing.
"We continue to support the government of Pakistan and their efforts to combat terrorism," Kelly said.
So far there have been no reports of any US citizen being killed or injured in the Lahore attack, which killed more than 35 people and injured over 400 others. The Lahore Consulate has provided some emergency medical supplies as per the request of the local government there.
There is no "justification" for such a attack, Kelly said when asked if the US linked the Lahore attack as a revenge of the Pakistan military action in the Swat Valley and adjoining areas.
"I'm not going to get into the Taliban's way of thinking. This is just a totally abhorrent and unacceptable act," Kelly said.
First Published: May 28, 2009 02:32 IST