Wont let NATO supply routes reopen: Saeed
Lashkar-e-Taiba founder Hafiz Saeed has said the Defa-e-Pakistan Council will oppose any attempt by the Pakistan government to reopen supply routes for foreign forces in Afghanistan that were closed following a NATO air strike last year.world Updated: Apr 30, 2012 14:05 IST
Lashkar e Taiba founder Hafiz Saeed has said the Defa e Pakistan Council will oppose any attempt by the Pakistan government to reopen supply routes for foreign forces in Afghanistan that were closed following a Nato air strike last year.
"If the supplies are ever resumed, it will only entrench the US further in Afghanistan," Saeed said while talking to journalists at Hyderabad in Sindh province on Sunday.
Defa-e-Pakistan Council is a grouping of over 40 hardline and extremist groups, including Saeed's Jamat-ud-Dawah.
Saeed, for whom the US has announced a $10 million bounty, also addressed a public gathering in the city.
Saeed contended that Pakistan's recent talks with the US had "failed".
"They (the US) didn't tender an apology over the (Nato air strike), nor agreed upon stopping the drone strikes," Saeed was quoted as saying by The Express Tribune.
Pakistan closed the supply routes after a cross-border Nato air strike killed 24 Pakistani soldiers in November.
The issue of reopening the routes was raised by US Special Envoy Marc Grossman during a visit to Islamabad last week but the two sides could not reach an understanding as the US government has refused to apologise for the Nato air strike, media reports said.
Asked about the sectarian unrest in Gilgit-Baltistan, Saeed held the US and India responsible for the phenomenon.
He claimed that India aims to create a new state by combining parts of Gilgit-Baltistan with Ladakh in Jammu and Kashmir and said this is aimed at allowing the US to achieve its "objective of severing the road link between Pakistan and China".