Yemen violence death toll tops 1,000: WHO
The death toll from fighting in Yemen since late March has now topped 1,000, including nearly 50 children, the World Health Organization said Thursday.world Updated: Apr 23, 2015 21:07 IST
The death toll from fighting in Yemen since late March has now topped 1,000, including nearly 50 children, the World Health Organization said Thursday.
The UN health agency said at least 1,080 people had been killed in the country, including 48 children and 28 women, and a further 4,352 people had been injured in the violence between March 19 and April 20.
In its previous toll, WHO had listed 944 deaths and 3,487 injuries as of April 17.
WHO has repeatedly stressed that it receives these statistics from health facilities in Yemen, but that since many people are not making it to hospitals for treatment the real numbers are likely higher.
The WHO toll does not distinguish between civilians and combatants.
Its break-down by region shows that the capital Sanaa had registered the most deaths, with a total of 209, including 21 children and five women.
Another 936 people had been injured there, including 84 children and 44 women.
In the main southern city of Aden, 191 people have been killed, including two children, and another 1,237 injured.
The latest toll was published as Saudi-led coalition warplanes launched new strikes in the country Thursday, despite a demand by Iran-backed Huthi rebels for a complete halt to the raids as a condition for UN-sponsored peace talks.
Saudi Arabia and its Arab allies launched the air war on March 26 in an attempt to restore the authority of President Abedrabbo Mansour Hadi, who was forced to flee abroad last month as the rebels swept across the country.
First Published: Apr 23, 2015 21:05 IST