Preparations on to airlift Eman Ahmed to Abu Dhabi, 10K medical files to be sent
Doctors from Saifee Hospital will submit 10,000 documents attesting to Eman’s healthmumbai Updated: May 01, 2017 10:09 IST
Egyptian Eman Ahmed, once considered to be the ‘world’s heaviest woman’, will take a day or two to be shifted to Abu Dhabi for further treatment, said officials from Saifee Hospital. While a medical evacuation team visited Eman on Saturday, they are yet to submit the date and time of her departure to the doctors treating her.
“An air ambulance team visited Eman on Saturday. But, they are yet to tell us when she will be shifted,” said Dr Aprna Govil Bhaskar, section head, bariatric surgery, Saifee Hospital.
- After Egyptian Eman Ahmed lost 242kg, doctors discuss with her sister Shaimaa the possibility to discharge her. But Shaimaa refused to agree to the discharge. Doctors claim Shaimaa wanted them to treat Eman until she is able to stand and walk.
- He said that chances of Eman walking are difficult but not impossible.
- As doctors waited for Eman’s weight to fall to 200kg, Shaimaa allegedly forced them get Eman’s CT scan done immediately. The doctors told her about the unavailability of a machine in which Eman can fit in.
- Shaimaa released a video on social media, accusing doctors of Saifee Hospital of lying about Eman’s weight loss. She claimed that Eman suffered three strokes, was not able to talk and has pale blue skin. She further accused the doctors of medical negligence and said that she doesn’t trust them anymore.
- Dr Aprna Govil Bhaskar, section head of bariatric surgery at the hospital quit from the team along with a few other doctors. She called the incident disheartening and unfortunate. Dr Lakdawala said he would continue to treat Eman.
- Saifee Hospital released images of Eman being weighed at 176.6kg. They performed a CT scan which showed no signs of stroke after her admission in Saifee and a video of Eman performing physiological tasks.
- VPS Healthcare, a multi-specialty hospital in Abu Dhabi came forward, on Shaimaa’s request to continue Eman’s treatment. Shaimaa said she did not trust Indian or Egyptian doctors and would opt for treatment by the Dubai hospital.
- Shaimaa allegedly fed Eman water against the doctors’ instructions, and manhandled nurses. Saifee Hospital authorities informed local police station about the incident.
-DR MUFFAZZAL LAKDAWALA, Saifee Hospital
Doctors said had also prepared a detailed report of Eman’s health. The report is to be signed by officials from VPS Healthcare. “We prepared these documents as part of the procedure to sign over Eman’s treatment to doctors from VPS Healthcare. Amid all the controversies, they will stand as proof that Eman is leaving India healthy and hearty,” said a doctor from the hospital.
Medical experts from VPS Healthcare are in the process of selecting a chartered aircraft to transfer Eman. Officials had said they were committed to transporting her by May 1.
“She will need a chartered aircraft. We are examining the best options,” said Sanet Meyer, director, Medevac, VPS Healthcare. Meyer said a special hydraulic stretcher had been imported from Italy to transport Eman. Officials are in the process of looking for an ambulance to take her from Saifee Hospital to the Mumbai airport.
Meyer said she will head a team of nine experts, including an intensivist, paramedics and nurses, who will accompany Eman on her way to Burjeel Hospital in Abu Dhabi. “We have a number of specialised rooms at the Burjeel medical facility, where Eman’s neurological and physiological needs will be attended to,” said Meyer.