Mobile towers located within 100m radius of edu, health institutions come under fire in Bhopal
Mobile towers located within 100 metres of educational and health institutions in Bhopal are likely to be deactivated soon.bhopal Updated: May 29, 2015 22:58 IST
Mobile towers located within 100 metres of educational and health institutions in the state capital are likely to be deactivated soon.
Pulling up the Bhopal Municipal Corporation (BMC) for "not taking safety precautions into account while framing guidelines for installation of mobile towers in city," the National Green Tribunal has directed the civic body to carry out a fresh survey to identify mobile towers located within 100 metres of educational and health institutions and deactivate services of the providers on "precautionary principles."
The central bench of NGT gave these directions while hearing the case 'Praveen Patkar vs Sarla Tower & Ors' on Thursday, a copy of which was made available on Friday.
The petitioner has said that the proprietors of the Sarla Tower, located near Piplani petrol pump at Sonagiri in Bhopal, had installed a mobile tower contrary to the directions of the Rajasthan high court in the 'IS Israni vs Union of India' case on November 27, 2012.
The high court, in its verdict, had said that mobile towers located within 100 metres radius of vulnerable areas such as hospitals, schools, education institutions and children's playground should be removed.
The petitioner had alleged that no permission had been sought for erection of the tower, especially as the Sarla Tower was located very near to Sachin Mamta Hospital.
The petitioner had also accused the Sarla Tower proprietors of allowing a restaurant to run a kitchen at the basement.
In its order, the NGT said the kitchen had been running in the absence of any permission and causing pollution in the area for 10 years.
The tribunal said the Sarla Tower proprietor was liable for a penalty of Rs5,000 per month for the entire period from 2013, when the issue was raised by the applicant before the Lokayukta, till March, 2015.
In its order, the NGT said: "We are conscious of the fact that the high court and Supreme Court have only stayed the demolition and removal of the towers and therefore our order is in no means contrary or in violation of the directions issued by the high court and Supreme Court. The final outcome in the matter shall abide by the decision of the high court and Supreme Court."
The bench comprised judicial member Dalip Singh and expert member Ranjan Chatterjee has fixed the next hearing in the case on August 28.