Bihar Election Today’s Chanakya Exit Poll 2020: Mahagathbandhan will win 180 seats, NDA 55 and others 8, pollster projects
As Bihar wrapped up voting in its third and final phase of assembly elections on Saturday, pollsters released their exit poll data. According to most pollsters, Tejashwi Yadav-led opposition alliance will win and Nitish Kumar’s NDA could fall short of a clear majority in the assembly elections.
Exit polls are based on voters’ responses right after they have exited the polling booth and can often be misleading. Votes will be counted and election result announced on November 10.
Pollster Today’s Chanakya, backed by consumer research agency RNB Research, aims to mend its past record of getting the results wrong in 2015 Bihar Assembly Election. It had predicted 155 seats for the BJP-led NDA and 83 for the Grand Alliance of the Janata Dal-United (JD-U), Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) and the Congress. In the final results, however, the Grand Alliance won with comfortable majority.
However, the pollster came closest to predicting the BJP-led NDA’s sweep in the 2014 general elections. The minimum number of seats that the Chanakya team had predicted for the BJP-led NDA was 326, which was higher than the maximum number of seats other pollsters had predicted. The alliance won 336 seats in the general elections.
For the Bihar Assembly Election 2020, the RJD is contesting in 144 seats, Congress in 70, and CPI(ML) in 19. From the NDA, the JD(U) is contesting in 115 seats and BJP in 110.
Read latest updates here:
- Today’s Chanakya exit poll predicts Mahagathbandhan will win 180 seats (plus or minus 11 seats), NDA 55 (plus or minus 11 seats) and others 8 (plus or minus 4 seats) in Bihar Assembly election.
- According to Today’s Chanakya exit polls, vote share for NDA is 34%, Mahagathbandhan’s is 44% and for others it is 22%.
- According to Today’s Chanakya, unemployment, development, corruption and other issues influenced the voters’ vote. As much as 35% of the voters named unemployment as their major concern, 28% named development as their concern and 19% said that corruption was the major issue they were voting around. Only 6% voters said their concerns were something other than the three aforementioned issues.
- Initial exit polls projections are in. RJD-led alliance may take lead in Bihar, according to some pollsters. Today’s Chanakya will release its projection shortly.
- The Election Commission held a press conference today and announced that 55.22% turnout was recorded in Phase 3 of Bihar elections.
- Today’s Chanakya’s projections will be covered live by CNN News18 TV channel from 6pm onwards.
- Voting for the third and final phase of Bihar Assembly Election is scheduled to end at 6pm. Once the polling concludes, various national news channels will, after 6.30pm, release their predictions about the winner based on exit polls.
- Exit polls, which aim to predict the final result of an election, are allowed to be released only after half an hour of the conclusion of the last phase of polling. The Election Commission of India prohibits the release of these findings any sooner as they might tamper with the process.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- He is in Tamil Nadu to take stock of Congress’ preparation ahead of the legislative assembly elections due in April-May this year.