2 years of SRK-Kajol’s Dilwale: Did you know Tusshar Kapoor was the first choice to play Varun Dhawan’s role?
While fans loved watching Rohit Shetty’s romantic drama on the big screen, Dilwale made maximum noise for its song Gerua, which is also believed to be the most expensive song ever made in Bollywood.bollywood Updated: Dec 18, 2017 15:30 IST
Directed by filmmaker Rohit Shetty, Dilwale was touted to be one of the biggest releases of 2015, though it received mixed response from fans and critics. However, Shetty certainly managed a coup of sorts by bringing the hit pair of Shah Rukh Khan and Kajol back with the film.
The action packed romantic drama also starred Varun Dhawan, Kriti Sanon and Varun Sharma, who played their parts well and earned praise. Besides the stars, music of the film, composed by Pritam Chakraborty and lyrics penned by Amitabh Bhattacharya, also garnered a lot of attention.
And what remains etched in the minds and hearts of music lovers is the song Gerua. Shot in Iceland, it was reportedly the most expensive song made in Bollywood. But to many would know that while shooting the song, six stones were placed on the heavy skirt that Kajol was wearing, to prevent it from flying when they were canning the famous (broken) plane scene.
As the film completes two years of its release today, we bring you more such interesting and lesser known facts. Read on:
1. Shah Rukh Khan’s role was reportedly inspired by Amitabh Bachchan’s character from the film Hum (1991), while Boman Irani’s character — of that of a comedian villain — also took inspiration from Anupam Kher’s character in the same film.
2. In the film, when Shah Rukh aka Raj and Kajol aka Meera meet for the first time and the latter hurts her leg, the song that the violinist was seen playing in the background is Tujhe Dekha To Ye Jana Sanam from the duo’s popular film Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge (1995).
3. Initially, actor Tusshar Kapoor was supposed to play Varun Dhawan’s character Veer in the film. But Shetty was keen on taking a younger star. In fact, Siddharth Malhotra was also considered for the role, but things did not work with any of them and finally, Varun came on board.
4. While this was the first time Shah Rukh Khan worked with (late) veteran actor Vinod Khanna in a film, for Kajol, she reunited with Khanna after a gap of 20 years since they last worked together in Hulchul (1995).
5. During the making of the film, SRK used to cycle on the sets of the film and the bicycle he rode was a gift from Shetty to help get SRK’s knee back in shape.
6. When Shah Rukh heard the song Gerua for the first time, he had doubts regarding the word ‘Gerua’. Lyricist Amitabh Bhattacharya was quoted saying in an earlier interview, “Initially Shah Rukh was sceptical about the word ‘Gerua’. It is not a commonly used word in film songs so he thought will it work, will it be accepted, how will the audience react to it. He liked the word and said it’s nice to hear but just that it is used less.”
7. Kajol had once shared how difficult was it for them to shoot the iceberg scene for Gerua. “We were turning black-and-blue while shooting the scene due to the cold. Our colour had actually turned blue by the end of the day. The colour of the scene was actually our colour. Once the scene was shot, we were covered with more than three blankets, an overcoat, and what not. Our lips turned blue by the end of the scene,” she was quoted as saying.
8. For the famous aircraft scene in the song that was shot on a broken plane, SRK had shared an interesting story behind that stranded aircraft. “Long, long ago, a plane had to make an emergency landing near the sea and no one from the plane was dead or injured. Fortunately, the landing was safe and the captain of the plane was lauded for his presence of mind. The plane has not moved since then, and now the place is treated like a museum,” he had said. The airplane, C-47 SkyTrain, belonged to the US military and was forced to land on November 24 in the year 1973 on Sólheimasandur’s black sandy beach, south of Iceland.
9. Not only the song Gerua was said to be the most expensive that was ever made in Bollywood, it was also an instant hit when it released, crossing the fastest 100 million mark. Pritam even tweeted, “From what I hear, Gerua is the first Bollywood song to cross 100 Million in the shortest duration. Thank You #Gerua100Million”.
10. Did you know that for his character Kaali, SRK was earlier to sport a moustache in the film. But later, his look was changed and he was shown in a rugged beard.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
First Published: Dec 18, 2017 14:15 IST