5 years of Student Of The Year: Guess how many times Alia Bhatt fainted while shooting
Alia Bhatt, Varun Dhawan and Siddharth Malhotra starrer Student of The Year became the highest grossing film of 2012. The film completed five years of its release on October 19, and on the occasion, we take a look at a few fun facts about it.bollywood Updated: Oct 20, 2017 13:09 IST
Karan Johar launched Bollywood’s new age actors Alia Bhatt, Varun Dhawan and Siddharth Malhotra with Student of the Year. And it goes without saying that they are currently ruling the industry. When SOTY (as the film is often addressed) released in 2012, it got the cash registers ringing at the box office. The young generation loved the fresh look of the film and, of course, the storyline. Performances by actors Rishi Kapoor, Ronit Roy and Boman Irani were also loved by the audience. What also added to the films popularity was its soundtrack. Composed by Vishal-Shekhar, songs such as The Disco Song, Ishq Wala Love and Radha are still a hit with music lovers.
As the film completed five years on October 19, we take a look at some of the lesser known facts about the film:
1. Director Karan Johar was keen on launching Gulshan Grover’s son Sanjay Grover in the film but he didn’t accept the offer as he wasn’t ready for films then. Apparently, Krishna Shroff, daughter of Jackie Shroff was also offered a role in the movie, but she too declined the offer.
2. Before working in SOTY, actors Siddarth Malhotra and Varun Dhawan assisted Karan in his film My Name is Khan (2010).
3. Apparently, Karan auditioned about 432 girls before zeroing in on Alia for the film. He also asked her to lose weight and Alia followed his instructions and shed all those extra kilos within three months.
4. For her audition, Alia danced to the track Bahara from Sonam Kapoor and Imran Khan starrer I Hate Luv Storys (2010).
5. Oye Lucky! Lucky Oye! actor Manjot Singh, who played the role of one of students, Dimpy, shared that he and Varun developed a good friendship on the sets of the film. On one of the days, after giving a shot, Varun came up to Manjot and asked him if he performed well. When Manjot asked Varun why he was asking him, the latter replied that given Manjot has done three films, he will be able to guide him well. “I couldn’t believe that he was asking me..he comes from a film family. It was really nice of him. I wasn’t expecting it at all.”
6. While shooting for the film, Alia fainted for at least 14 times. The reason was cold and fatigue.
7. The romantic track in the film Ishq Wala Love topped the charts, and in 2014, a Marathi film was made with the same name.
9. Unlike what many might think, SOTY was not Alia’s first film. The actor actually worked for the first time in Sangharsh (1999), where she was a child artist. Alia played young Preity Zinta in the movie.
10. On the first day of shooting, when Karan canned the Mahurat shot for the film, socialite Parmeshwar Godrej was the one who rolled the cameras.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
First Published: Oct 20, 2017 11:31 IST