Arjun Kapoor on Panipat memes: ‘I am used to people making fun of me, unfair to crack jokes on historical characters’
Ever since the posters of Ashutosh Gowariker’s ambitious Panipat were released, Internet has been buzzing with extreme reactions. While some have noted the film’s lavish look, trolls and memes have been having a field day, too, with jibes at the film and its lead actor, Arjun Kapoor.
Arjun feels it is unfair to crack jokes on historical characters and martyrs who laid their lives down for the country. In the historical drama, based on the third Battle of Panipat, Arjun Kapoor plays Sadashivrao Bhau, the great Maratha warrior who had fought Afghan invader Ahmad Shah Abdali.
“Everybody gets trolled. I think now it has become habitual for people to be negative and bitter, probably because whatever they might be dealing with in their personal lives. It reflects badly on the way they have been brought up or the way they are,” Arjun said, at a promotional event ahead of the film’s release, when quizzed on how he reacts to memes flooding the internet.
Watch the trailer of Panipat here:
The actor added he doesn’t mind being the subject of trolls and has even made fun of himself on several occasions. But he finds it unacceptable when people create memes on historical characters and heroes who have served our nation.
“I don’t mind if people make fun of me, but if you are making fun of this film, then you are making fun of people who have sacrificed themselves for India. See, I have done roast and made fun of myself. I don’t have any issues. I am used to people making fun of me. I have laughed at many of these in the past, even when Half Girlfriend released. But it is unfair to crack jokes on historical characters, on martyrs. We should not forget the sacrifice that these men made,” he said.
He also emphasised that while other national heroes like Subhas Chandra Bose or Bhagat Singh are never made fun of, a great historical warrior like Sadashivrao Bhau has become the target of trolls, and nobody is protesting. “I don’t see anybody making fun of Shaheed Bhagat Singh. I have never seen a meme on Subhas Chandra Bose. But I am seeing memes on Sadashivrao Bhau and nobody says anything about it. He was as much of a valiant soldier for our country. But nobody says anything. It’s not my job to reply to trolls. The fact is that these men were martyrs. However, nobody has stood up and said this is uncouth and rude. As a person, who has grown up in Mumbai, I am a Maharashtrian as much as I am a Punjabi, I feel it is sad that we are allowing it to happen,” he said.
Watch the song Mann Mein Shiva from Panipat here:
The actor also reacted to netizens comparing the film with Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s Bajirao Mastani. He retorted: “People are comparing Panipat with Bajirao Mastani. There are so many stories belonging to that era. Should we stop making such films then? Then Tanhaji also cannot be made. There are so many stories waiting to be told! Just because we have seen something that resonated with us two years back, that doesn’t mean any other story from that era cannot be made into a film.”
The actor also revealed that he has a solution for “negative” and “insensitive” reactions. Referring to Rajkumar Hirani’s popular comedy flick Munna Bhai MBBS, Arjun said: “Today it has become a little derogatory and negative, and we are insensitive towards others. The way they write about us, (it is) as if we are not human beings. Raju sir had made a nice picture where everybody was given jaadu ki jhappi. I feel everybody needs a jaadu ki jhappi these days.”
Panipat directed by Ashutosh Gowariker, also stars Kriti Sanon, Sanjay Dutt, Zeenat Aman, Padmini Kolhapure, Suhasini Mulay and others. The film hits theatres on December 6.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Saif Ali Khan and Kareena Kapoor Khan, who welcomed their second son earlier this month, got a visit from Arjun Kapoor, Malaika Arora and Karisma Kapoor.
- Kangana Ranaut played hostess for the team of Tejas, as they went to her house on Sunday for a meeting. She shared pictures of the get-together, giving fans a glimpse of her home as well.
- Aamna Imran, dubbed as Aishwarya Rai's doppelgänger, took the internet by storm this weekend with her uncanny resemblance to the Bollywood actor. The Pakistani social media influencer has revealed that she has an Indian connect.
- Roohi actor Varun Sharma opened up about his love life in a recent interview. He recalled bonding with a girl he liked from school when his mother was busy watching Kasautii Zindagi Kay.
- Anil Kapoor reveals he had really looked forward to shooting a scene that had him taking a stand for his onscreen daughter, Priyanka Chopra, in the film Dil Dhadakne Do.
- Alia Bhatt has shared a sunshiny new picture on Instagram and she looks stunning as ever. Check it out and try to spot a cute little cat in the picture as well.
- Suhana Khan spent her Saturday night with friends in New York. Shah Rukh Khan's daughter took to her Instagram Stories and shared a glimpse of her whereabouts.
- Days after the trailer was released, Mumbai Saga makers have dropped its first song, titled Shor Machega. Yo Yo Honey Singh and Hommie Dilliwala sing the latest Bollywood song.
- Kangana Ranaut has shared a video of her brother and parents' Mumbai home which she transformed into a more lively place with the help of her new sister-in-law Ritu.
- Varun Dhawan and Shraddha Kapoor were spotted at the Mumbai airport on Sunday morning. The actors were headed to the Maldives, where Shraddha's cousin Priyaank is tying the knot.