Box office report card: Kesari, Uri, Total Dhamaal make it a good year for Bollywood
The year began on a positive note at the box office and it continues to witness one big hit after another with new blockbusters releasing every month. After Vicky Kaushal’s Uri: The Surgical Strike made history with collections nearing Rs 250 crore, Akshay Kumar’s Holi release Kesari has got the cash registers ringing with a thunderous opening of Rs 21.50 crore and is now the highest opening film of the year in India.
All from Kangana Ranaut’s Manikarnika: The Queen of Jhansi, Ranveer Singh and Alia Bhatt’s Gully Boy to Anil Kapoor, Ajay Devgn’s multi-starrer comedy Total Dhamaal managed to make over Rs 100 crore at the domestic box office. Because it released on Holi, Kesari was expected to witness a slow start as the movie theatres and cinemas remain shut in the first half of the day. But the film went on to become the second highest opener of Akshay’s career after his last film, Gold opened at Rs 25 crore last year. Also starring Parineeti Chopra, Kesari is expected to record higher figures during the weekend.
Film trade analyst Taran Adarsh took to Twitter to share the collections of the best opening films this year. He tweeted, “Top Opening Day biz - 2019...1. #Kesari ₹ 21.50 cr [Thu] 2. #GullyBoy ₹ 19.40 cr [Thu] 3. #TotalDhamaal ₹ 16.50 cr 4. #CaptainMarvel ₹ 13.01 cr Note: ₹ 10 cr+ openers. India biz.#Kesari is Akshay Kumar’s second biggest opener, after #Gold [₹ 25.25 cr; #IndependenceDay].”
Two more releases in February -- Amitabh Bachchan and Taapsee Pannu’s Badla and Kartik Aaryan and Kriti Sanon’s Luka Chuppi-- have recorded great response at the box office and are already hits, though they are still a distance away from the Rs 100 crore mark. While Badla stands at Rs 79 crore, Luka Chuppi has collected Rs 87 crore.
Taran updated the box office figures of Badla on Twitter. “Badla shows excellent hold in Week 2... Crosses lifetime biz of #102NotOut and #Pink... [Week 2] Fri 4.05 cr, Sat 6.70 cr, Sun 8.22 cr, Mon 2.80 cr, Tue 2.60 cr, Wed 2.60 cr, Thu 2.35 cr. Total: ₹ 67.32 cr. India biz. Gross BOC: ₹ 79.44 cr.”
He also updated Luka Chuppi’s box office figures in his tweet, “LukaChuppi biz at a glance...Week 1: ₹ 53.70 cr. Week 2: ₹ 21.54 cr. Week 3: ₹ 11.75 cr. Total: ₹ 86.99 cr. India biz. HIT.”
Zoya Akhtar’s Gully Boy also performed well and collected Rs 139 crore. Sharing the film’s box office collections, Taran tweeted, “GullyBoy biz at a glance...Week 1: ₹ 100.30 cr [Thu release - 8 days]. Week 2: ₹ 26.80 cr. Week 3: ₹ 8.69 cr. Week 4: ₹ 2.42 cr. Week 5: ₹ 1.17 cr. Total: ₹ 139.38 cr. India biz. HIT.”
Uri also continues to hold fort and is in the 10th week of its release. Calling it an all time blockbuster, Taran shared the weekly collections of the film on Twitter.
“Uri biz at a glance... Week 1: ₹ 71.26 cr Week 2: ₹ 62.77 cr Week 3: ₹ 37.02 cr Week 4: ₹ 29.34 cr Week 5: ₹ 18.74 cr Week 6: ₹ 11.56 cr Week 7: ₹ 6.67 cr Week 8: ₹ 3.83 cr Week 9: ₹ 1.63 cr Week 10: 95 lakhs. Total: ₹ 243.77 cr. India biz. ALL TIME BLOCKBUSTER,” he tweeted.
Indra Kumar’s comedy Total Dhamaal crossed Rs 150 crore mark at the box office. Taran shared the collections of the film on Twitter, “TotalDhamaal biz at a glance...Week 1: ₹ 94.55 cr Week 2: ₹ 38.05 cr Week 3: ₹ 13.11 cr Weekend 4: ₹ 5.05 cr Total: ₹ 150.76 cr India biz. HIT.”
Earlier, Kangana’s sister Rangoli had shared the collections of Manikarnika along with its budget and other details. She had tweeted, “Manikarnika investments and returns. Budget- 79cr Print+Marketing- 22cr Digital rights sold- 40cr Satellite rights sold- 20cr Distribution rights- 61cr India business - 100.05cr still counting Worldwide - 152cr and still counting... @KairosKontent.”
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Actor Priyanka Chopra has said that she regrets endorsing fairness creams in India, but as a child she believed that dark skin wasn't pretty and would put talcum powder on her face.
- Pictures from Varun Dhawan and Natasha Dalal's sangeet function have been shared online by Zoa Morani. Check them out here.
- New pictures from Varun Dhawan and Natasha Dalal's mehendi ceremony have arrived online. Check them out here.
Akshay Oberoi: We lucked out as there were no Salman Khan, Akshay Kumar sort of big films releasing in 2020
Republic Day special | John Abraham: Honesty in playing a person who cares for his country comes naturally to me
- Varun Dhawan's wife, Natasha Dalal, got her wedding makeup done in 35 minutes, artist Namrata Soni has said.
- On the second anniversary of Manikarnika: The Queen of Jhansi, Kangana Ranaut has accused the movie 'mafia' of launching negative campaigns against her and the film.
- Remo D'Souza has shared a video of himself, dancing with his doctors, after recovering from a heart attack recently.
- Varun Dhawan's Humpty Sharma Ki Dulhania and Badrinath Ki Dulhania director, Shashank Khaitan, has some advice for the actor's wife, Natasha Dalal.
- Late actor Irrfan Khan's son, Babil, has said that he has no interest in doing films that make ₹100 crore but have no artistic value.