Dabangg 3: Trade experts believe CAA protests affecting business, ‘Makers will have to bear the loss’
Salman Khan’s latest offering Dabangg 3 has collected an estimated Rs 78 crore at the box office in its opening weekend. However, trade experts believe that the ongoing protests against Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA) have affected the earnings of the third film in Salman’s hit cop franchise.
Trade analyst Girish Wankhede told Mid-Day, “Salman has a huge fan base among the youth. But the political climate in the country is such that many don’t want to go to theatres and watch a film. This situation is completely unforeseen, and the makers will have to bear the loss.”
Starring Sonakshi Sinha and Saiee Manjrekar alongside Salman in lead roles, Dabangg 3 had a disappointing opening - while Rs 24.50 crore was a decent number in itself, it is Salman’s lowest opening day collection since the 2017 film, Tubelight .
Trade guru Amod Mehra also told the tabloid, “The film looks jaded. As far as the box office numbers are concerned, the film has an entire week ahead with holidays coming up, so it should sail through.”
Reacting to claims of the film being affected by the anti-CAA protests, Sonakshi had told IANS, “We all know what is going on in the entire country. I think people know that what is more important, but I am honestly happy with audience response to our film. At this moment, entire country has come together on this matter (CAA protests) and it is more important than a film.”
Directed by Prabhudheva, Dabangg 3 explores the backstory of Salman’s character, Chulbul Pandey, and how he turned into the person that fans saw in the first two intslaments of the franchise. The film marks the Bollywood debut of Mahesh Manjrekar’s daughter Saiee.
Dabangg 3 also stars Arbaaz Khan, Mahie Gill, Dimple Kapadia and Pramod Khanna. It also features Kannada star Sudeep as the main antagonist.
Meanwhile, Dabangg 3 has received a mixed response from critics. In her review for Hindustan Times, Soumya Srivastava wrote, “The action scenes are cut with the frantic energy of a toddler on sugar high. The punches land with the loudness of bulldozers, and I swear they made it sound like iron rods clanking this one time a goon hit Salman. And if through all this medley of construction work OST you could still manage to reach the climax, prepare your eyes for colour correction that would leave George Miller shaking in his pants. It’s Mad Max: Dadar Road and they have the aesthetic to match. It’s quite impressive to be honest, achieving this level of pomp and show with such little substance for inspiration. Dabangg 3 is as unnecessary as a remake of an item song, a romantic angle between another woman 30 years younger than you, and brutality when dealing with protestors, criminals or general public.”
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Kangana Ranaut alleged that no architect is willing to restore her office in Mumbai after it was partially demolished by the BMC last year, as they are being threatened with cancellation of their licenses.
Richa Chadha: Policymakers should be mindful; bring down ticket costs, so cinema doesn’t become a novelty
- Sushant Singh Rajput's sister, Shweta Singh Kirti, has penned a note about not getting closure in the actor's death case.
- Netflix India on Wednesday announced its slate of content for 2021, which includes the second season of Fabulous Lives of Bollywood Wives, the new Abbas-Mustan film, new projects from Karan Johar, Mani Ratnam and others.
- Urmila Matondkar shared a throwback picture with husband Mohsin Akhtar Mir on their 5th wedding anniversary. She handpicked a special moment from the ceremony. See here.
- Sanjana Sanghi played a small role in Irrfan Khan's Hindi Medium. The actor has now opened up about the acting lessons she learned from Irrfan.
- Saif Ali Khan's sister Saba Ali Khan recently posted old family pictures of the Kapoors and the Pataudis. See little Kareena and Saif here.
- Varun Dhawan shared a funny clip just before boarding an aircraft where he channeled his inner werewolf. Watch the video here.
- Twinkle Khanna has shared a glimpse of how things get difficult for her at home as schools continue to remain shut.
- Amitabh Bachchan's granddaughter, Navya Naveli Nanda, on Wednesday reacted to a question posed to a rape accused by a Supreme Court bench.
- Kajol wished sister Tanishaa Mukerji as she turns a year older. She also shared some never-seen-before throwback pictures.
- Shah Rukh Khan's child co-star from Kal Ho Naa Ho, Jhanak Shukla, spoke in a video about why and how she 'lost the track' in her acting career, and how she is 'not earning anything' right now.
- Janhvi Kapoor is back with her second dance number, titled Nadiyon Paar, from the film Roohi. It is a remixed version of hit Shamur song Let The Music Play.
- Priyaank Sharma and Shaza Morani hosted a Christian-style wedding ceremony in the Maldives this week. The couple exchanged their vows at a beach ceremony, and danced to Ed Sheeran's Perfect.